Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FoggyB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 71 of 108

Re: Massive drop in download speed at peak times

Go to solution

@thomasmirf as promised, here are my speed results from last night (23:31). I was getting a download speed of around 3mb/s, as usual the upload speed was significantly higher.

Speed results.png

Thanks,

FoggyB

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 72 of 108

Go to solution

@FoggyB wrote:

@pippincp, the issues you set out about broadband and how it is provided in this country are all very true and, as an unaffected observer of this particular issue, the problem for you may be a disconnect between the expectations of different groups. As far as I’m concerned, however, the problem is that my broadband (and that of a number of other people in Bath) hasn’t been working properly for an extended period, and I’m unsure as to whether anything is currently happening to fix it.

You may not feel that @PaddyB should update us, but I, for one, would be very grateful to know if the supposed fix carried out by BT Wholesale on the 24th (or 22nd, it’s unclear) is the same one that PaddyB said was promised by the 30th, and whether BT Wholesale are still working on the problem? If they are, then it's fine and I don't mind waiting a couple of days. If not, then there is no point waiting idly for a fix that will never come. It is the fact that much conflicting information has been provided by BT since PaddyB mentioned the 30th that would make an update comforting.

Either way, I guess we’ll see in the next 2 days if the issue has been resolved by the date promised (or if that fix will be as effective as all the previous ones).

Don't ever think I am lucky enough to be unaffected. That's why I understand the frustration caused. That is why I also think things need to change.

0 Ratings
Message 73 of 108

Go to solution

Hi guys,

We've received word back on this.

The problem should now been sorted out.  I appreciate that you'll not be able to check for sure until later today.  Please feedback on this thread how your service is performing when you get the chance.

Thanks,

Robbie

0 Ratings
BarneyG
Contributor
Message 74 of 108

Go to solution

Hi @RobbieMac,

Thanks for the update. That sounds promising.

As expected, speeds currently (11:30 on a weekday morning) are excellent at 37.46Mbps down and 9.45Mbps up. I'll be sure to keep an eye on performance this evening and will update this thread with my findings either way.

Best regards,

Barney.

0 Ratings
thomasmirf
Contributor
Message 75 of 108

Go to solution

@RobbieMac, thanks for the update.

Can you confirm when the fault was supposedly fixed?

I've had multiple people from Retial tell me it was fixed and cleared on 22nd or 24th October.

An Openreach engineer (who was supposed to come to my property yesterday) and the regional manager for Bath were both aware of an ongoing fault at 2pm yesterday. They said it was a problem with something "deep in the exchange" and was only impacting fibre customers and only on certain cards. It was impacting a large number of people but Retail hadn't tied all the cases together as they were still giving out different information to differnet customers and sending engineers out to people affected by the same problem. He didn't bother coming to mine to check my line for the third time!

It wasn't fixed last night so unless they actually changed something and fixed it this morning? Did they tell you when the fixed was made?

I'll check my speeds tonight but I'm not holding out too much hope...

Thanks,

Tom

0 Ratings
MayasDad
Aspiring Contributor
Message 76 of 108

Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I wont be back in Bath until the weekend so cannot comment on whether my speed has improved in the evenings. Randomly BT generated an engineer visit for today. I wasnt at home so he called me.

He was aware of the problem and like the last engineer predicted the problem is no doubt at the exchange. He was sympatheic and this problems seems to be going back and forwards from BT RETAIL to BT WHOLESALE to BT OPENREACH. 

From my understanding fromt he phone call the problem is not yet fixed. I was also told that this might be affecting alot more people than we on the forums think. Up to a quarter of fibre uses in Bath.

If the problem is not fixed as promised by the 31st October  I shall be pretty miffed! Rather disspointingly the guys who contact me from BT - im assuming the mods from this forum or BT digital care - seemed to think the problem had also been resolved.

In summary.... no one really knows. 

Will post my speed results this weekend.

Naresh

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 77 of 108

Go to solution

@thomasmirf & @MayasDad You will not get the answers on this forum to your questions, that is not what this forum is for. It is nothing more than a customer to customer support forum where we are lucky enough to have access to a small team of very good BT employees who will do their utmost to resolve problems.

Your questions should be directed elsewhere such a BBC Watchdog, Which or OFCOM.

BT Retail, your ISP has had exactly the same problem as any other ISP on that exchange (Sky,Plusnet etc.)

BT Wholesale are not customer facing (Their customers are the ISP's) as Openreach aren't (their customers are BT Wholesale and direct to business).  That is the rules laid down by OFCOM like it or not.

It is also worth remembering that Openreach do not have a congestion problem, it lies with BT Wholesale ensuring enough bandwidth has been purchased from Openreach and  they have the equipment in place in the exchange.

Until recently upgrades have been done without customers realising it was necessary, I wonder if the automatic system BT Wholesale use has been rendered useless by a software upgrade somewhere along the line. Another question that won't be answered here.

Please do reply to @RobbieMac if you continue with problems so that he can take it forward for you and get it resolved.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
thomasmirf
Contributor
Message 78 of 108

Go to solution

The question I asked of @RobbieMac was when the "fix" he was saying had been made was actually done as a number of us have already heard from Retail that the problem is fixed but it is not.

The reason Openreach is being mentioned is not because they have the congestion issue but that a number of us have had Openreach engineers sent to visit us by Retail on the instruction of Wholesale despite the fact the the fault is in the excahnge and under Wholesale's remit.

Update from me. Another fruitless session with Indian call centre. They again wanted to "reject" the clear despite the fact I'd asked for this to be done on Monday and this was the whole reason an engineer was supposed to visit yesterday (despite the fact he had also  been told by wholesale he couldn't fix anytihng as they knew about the problem and it was in the exchange)

Rejecting the clear meant another engineer. Apparently this one wouldn't come to my house but would go to the excahnge at the time the fault occured (7pm). Immediately after tellng me this he asked me if I wanted a morning or afternoon appointment. What an idiot. He said his system could only do one or the other but he'd put a note to say to do it after 7pm. This being exactly the path I went down on Monday I tried to escalate to his manager saying I wanted confirmation from Wholesale on the appointment (obviously not going to happen but I planned to keep escalating it)

Waiting for their callback I finally got my case reference sorted out with the Executive Complaints team and they're taking over the case.

He said he'd need to escalate it as necessary to the top of wholesale but I believe that they have the influence to do that and I have a consistent point of contact who doesn't have to follow ALL of the rules the indian call centres do.

It still may not be fixed quickly as Wholesale seem to be in denial but at least I'm now confident someone competent is now dealinng with the case and will see it through.

I'll let the thread know what comes of it. Who knows perhaps I'll get home tonight and @RobbieMac will be right and it will all be fixed!

Cheers,

Tom 

0 Ratings
FoggyB
Aspiring Contributor
Message 79 of 108

Go to solution

Hello all,

I've just got home and tested my connection and am getting a download speed of 37.53mbps! I can scarcely believe it. I'd need to see it stay like this for the rest of the evening at least and hear from others here to be sure it's fixed, but seems promising.

Look forward to seeing similar results from the rest of you.

FoggyB

0 Ratings
thomasmirf
Contributor
Message 80 of 108

Go to solution

Well, I was getting high 30s too at 7.30pm when I got home.

Now slowed to 6-10Mbps

Not good enough still!

0 Ratings