Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
MB7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 89

Massive loss of broadband upload speed.

Go to solution

I live in Bury St Edmunds and have Infinity 1. Until 3 days ago my upload speed was fine, averaging around 2mbps. Then suddenly it dropped, so that I'm now sending data at a speed of around 25-35kbps! Since I need to transfer files of around 20-30mb on a frequent basis this is a disaster.

I ran a speed check on the BT site which resulted in the advice that there was no problem or fault with my speed or service. I then telephoned the BT support team and spoke to a person in Dublin who ran a check on a site called Ookla and assured me there was no problem with my upload speed, which had registered 2.24mbps. I explained that this was clearly incorrect since all devices (both Mac and Windows-based) were struggling to send at anything above 35kbps. He said he was mystified and suggested that I contact Openreach. I have since discovered that Openreach can only be contacted via an official communication from BT itself. My question is can anyone tell me the most efficient way of getting BT to identify and address this problem - preferably without me having to go round in circles! Also is there anyone out there who knows what might account for such a rapid loss of service. I know BT purposely do not guarantee upload speeds, but 35kbps is wholly unacceptable.

I have checked all the connections to my hub, switched it off / on, etc and followed all the advice given on the Broadband Help site. But to no avail. The problem persists. As I say, until three days ago I was enjoying a perfectly acceptable upload speed - its sudden disappearance is rather alarming.

0 Ratings
88 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 89

Re: Massive loss of broadband upload speed.

Go to solution

can you post stats from your router  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
nrosten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 89

Go to solution

I also live in Bury St Edmunds. on Business Infinity 2 - had 78 / 19mb speeds for years. a few days ago  dropped to 78mb down and 0.4 up! Had openreach out for hours who have had similar issues in Bury with other customers. am not getting overly far with them yet as it seems clear to me some equipment fault at the exchange. I work from home and IP phones and remote services are useless on such a terrible upload. For ref i am not using BT routers as they are utter **bleep**.

0 Ratings
MB7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 89

Go to solution

nrosten - impressed that you managed to get the attention of Openreach. How did you manage that? Did you go direct or through BT? To date my experience of the BT route has been rather dispiriting.

0 Ratings
nrosten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 89

Go to solution

Luckily my line is a business service with enchanced care so we automatically skip the indian call centre. I phoned them up Tuesday afternoon and engineering attended yesterday for 2+ hours. We have done a throughput test direct to openreach and it runs at 14+mb so basically its a BT fault. I have just got the phone again and been told 2nd line engineers are looking into the issue and have he mentioned 'area wide fault'. So my guess others in Bury affected and not noticed or not complained yet. The difficulty is getting someone to fess up the fault is their end rather than blaming local kit.  During the process of investigation BT have also screwed my line profile as the router is now synced at 60/14 down from 79/20  so thats another argument as soon the upload gets anwhere near a meg - let alone 14 Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 89

Go to solution

@nrosten wrote:

I also live in Bury St Edmunds. on Business Infinity 2 - had 78 / 19mb speeds for years. a few days ago  dropped to 78mb down and 0.4 up! Had openreach out for hours who have had similar issues in Bury with other customers. am not getting overly far with them yet as it seems clear to me some equipment fault at the exchange. I work from home and IP phones and remote services are useless on such a terrible upload. For ref i am not using BT routers as they are utter **bleep**.

If you are a BT business customer you will have a totally different SLA (Service Level Agreement) from BT residential customers.

0 Ratings
nrosten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 89

Go to solution

correct on SLA.  The service from BT is still slow and being told next update on fault is 48 business hours so thats nearly a week of a shoddy connection all in by the time they update on Monday.  The only plus is i do not have to deal with the call centre's who speak poor english as business calls often go to ireland or scotland. In BT's defence the guys I have spoken to are normally alwys polite and the OpenReach engineer tried everything to diagnose the problem. The service is still a million times better than you would get from the likes of Talk Talk.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 89

Go to solution

This is a BT residential customer forum and has nothing to do with BT Business so other than reading about your experience there is nothing that can be done to assist you via this forum. If you are wanting any assistance or to make a complaint regarding the SLA you need to post on the BT Business forum or make a complaint directly to BT Business.

https://business.forums.bt.com/

0 Ratings
nrosten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 89

Go to solution
I know and did not expect any help here and would doubt it could be offered - was looking to see if other had same issue in same area as the engineer told me about other jobs in Bury with exact same issue. And don't worry the correct channels will be followed. I am residential user but my company pays for the line which is why its under business SLA.
0 Ratings
MB7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 89

Go to solution

nrosten - thanks for describing your experience with your problem. It was most enlightening. Since we both suffered a substantial drop in service at around the same time in the same town I am inclined to believe that this is indeed a serious fault at the supply end. As a private customer I am currently paying £150 per quarter for my broadband package from BT. Frankly to have my upload speed compromised in this manner - 25-35kbps for heaven's sake! - and then being given the call-centre runaround for the last two days is wholly unacceptable. I'm now firmly of the opinion that  BT's current online-based customer service facility is not fit for purpose - I shall now make an official complaint to the company. I suggest others who might be in this part of Suffolk and have experienced the same loss of service should do likewise.  

0 Ratings