cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 31 of 89

Re: Massive loss of broadband upload speed.

Go to solution

Openreach have no problems listed for any FTTC cab in Bury St Edmunds.

0 Ratings
DinkyDoughnut
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 89

Go to solution
what would the mods recommend we do next then? There is clearly an issue in the area, even if BT haven’t escalated that to openreach.

So far I have reset my smart hub to factory settings while on live chat to BT, installed a new smart hub that they sent me 2 days later, run several speed tests both on the bt wholesale site and other speedtest websites and apps, and had several frustrating phone calls to BT. So far, nothing has solved the issue for me so any other suggestions will be much appreciated thank you
0 Ratings
nrosten
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 89

Go to solution

Dinky - Cab 18 here. I know of customer of mine on Cab 27 and cab 7 with similar issues - not quite as grim as my upload but has dropped from 19 ish to under 5. One is a business customer and one residential. And again like yours everything was fine last week and somewhere over the weekend it all fell apart.

BT openreach told me it may be a throughput error at the provider end but have elevated for further testing. An openreach to premesis througput test was done by the engineer which achieved a solid 14mbps (would of been more but during investigations the ip profile was downed from 20 to 14 and 79.9 to 60). Like you my connection is rock solid normally.

The bt speedtester gets around 3 and any other real world test gets way under 1mbps. the quality is so poor on the upload not even a single line sip phone is unable to handle decent call quality.  I was told I would get an update Monday AM so will post any info in the hope it will help someone.

0 Ratings
DinkyDoughnut
Aspiring Contributor
Message 34 of 89

Go to solution
Thank you for all of that information @nrosten

At least now we know that several people in the area have been affected so can use that in our discussions with BT. They were meant to phone me back last night with an update but surprise, surprise I heard nothing.

I will appreciate anymore updates you can give because being a business customer, you should be kept up to date more than us residential customers. The ironic thing is, they have been trying to get me to upgrade to a business account as I wouldn’t have these issues if I was a business customer. You are proof that isn’t entirely true!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 35 of 89

Go to solution

It appears it could be a BTWholesale issue from what has been said here. No doubt they'll be working on it.

0 Ratings
MB7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 89

Go to solution

Dinky Doughnut - just checked. Mine's CAB 51. It's sited about 100 metres from my front door. In early February Openreach engineers were working on it intermittently as the extensive changes to the Petticoat Lane/Spread Eagle works were being completed.

0 Ratings
DinkyDoughnut
Aspiring Contributor
Message 37 of 89

Go to solution
Has anybody had any luck with this issue?!

I’ve been messed around loads in the last week and had an advisor hang up on me from the Indian call centre last night.
Today, they’re trying to get me to agree to an engineer visit but I am reluctant to agree as I know their history of slapping a £130 charge on people even if they are not to blame. Especially in this case, as it seems pretty unlikely for so many people in one town to all have issues within their premises.

Are openreach already on the case do we know?!
0 Ratings
MB7
Aspiring Contributor
Message 38 of 89

Go to solution

My upload speeds remain dismally slow. Have lodged an official complaint with BT (though the complaint page on the BT website was mysteriously unresponsive and I managed to pick up a link via a Daily Telegraph article from last autumn which enabled me to get off the appropriate e-mail). BT immediately responded with an automatic email telling me that I would hear from their Complaints Team within 10 days. Still no word from BT on the original logged fault which the BT site itself identified as a broadband problem relating to my service. I have a fault number, but everytime I access the BT site to see how things are progressing it displays a flow-diagram showing the investigation has not yet left the exchange! Since last posting I have used an ethernet cable to access the broadband signal directly. But this had absolutely no effect whatsover on the painfully slow upload speed.  This is all very strange: until last weekend my upload speeds were wonderful - and had been consistently so for years. Whereas before I could upload a 20MB image file somewhere between 25-30 seconds, it now takes at least 45 minutes.  

0 Ratings
DinkyDoughnut
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 89

Go to solution
I was told last night that the engineers work backwards from the premises which seems strange to me. When there are so many people from one area with the same issue which started at the same time, it’s pretty unlikely that each customer has a problem in their property and very likely that it is a supply issue from BT’s or Openreach’s end. I am reluctant to accept the engineer visit as I am scared they will slap that £130 charge on me. Also, I dont think it’s fair that I have to use my holiday from work to be in for the visit when I pretty much know for certain that they will not find any problems in my house. This is so frustrating!!!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 40 of 89

Go to solution

If you think it is an Openreach problem then you can use THIS link to lodge a complaint.

You would only be charged for an engineer visit if the problem is inside your home after the master socket. You can rule this out by connecting to the test socket with a filter. Whilst connected this way check there is no dial tone on any extention.

0 Ratings