cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JamesCO
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 26

Master Socket Position Unusable? Move/Extend?

Hi everyone.

Just had BT Superfast Unlimited Fibre installed at my new house, engineer came out yesterday to get it sorted as there was no active phone line (so it wasn't a self-install).

The master socket is placed on the hallway wall right at the bottom of the stairs with no active power sockets near. I asked about moving it to the dining room / lounge as it would make much more sense, but the engineer said that's a DIY job? I've since looked over forums and a lot of people have had the engineer either relocate their master socket or wire in an extension when it's in an awkward place.

In the current position, the M/S is virtually unusable without running an extension lead/plug from a socket in the lounge. Surely this can't be right?

Any advice please?

Cheers,
James

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 26

Re: Master Socket Position Unusable? Move/Extend?

Welcome to this user forum.

You can run a normal internal extension yourself, but if you wanted the master socket moved, you would have to pay for it.

You would have to ask BT for a socket move, or internal shift.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 26

you can get a local telecom engineer in local paper to make move or new master a lot cheaper than openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 26

The Engineer could’ve and should’ve moved it if you asked him.

As part of a Residential Installation the Engineer is allocated a Standard 1 Hour of Time once he gets dial tone to the house. This means if he can shift the NTE within an hour he should’ve done it if you asked.

Also as it’s BT I can virtually guarantee BT would've Authorised Unlimited Banding that gives the Engineer Authorisation to work over the hour but that additional time would be charged to BT.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 26

Do you know if it was an Openreach Employee or a Contractor from either MJ Quinn’s or Kelly’s?
0 Ratings
JamesCO
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 26

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Welcome to this user forum.

You can run a normal internal extension yourself, but if you wanted the master socket moved, you would have to pay for it.

You would have to ask BT for a socket move, or internal shift.

Hi Keith, thanks for the welcome! It's pretty awkward running an internal extension as I'd have to drill through interior walls to bypass doorways which would be less ideal than simply having it moved or ran externally.

Would BT not faciliate a move or 'internal shift' as an installation cost? I'd be a bit aggrieved paying for something that others have had for free as part of their package!

@imjollywrote:

you can get a local telecom engineer in local paper to make move or new master a lot cheaper than openreach

Hi Jolly, if the master socket is property of Openreach, would getting a third party to move / create a new master socket cause any issues in the future? Basically, would BT tell me to 'do one' if I had problems with my connection and claim no responsibility because someone had tampered with the M/S?

@Starwire2000wrote:
The Engineer could’ve and should’ve moved it if you asked him.

As part of a Residential Installation the Engineer is allocated a Standard 1 Hour of Time once he gets dial tone to the house. This means if he can shift the NTE within an hour he should’ve done it if you asked.

Also as it’s BT I can virtually guarantee BT would've Authorised Unlimited Banding that gives the Engineer Authorisation to work over the hour but that additional time would be charged to BT.

@Starwire2000 wrote:
Do you know if it was an Openreach Employee or a Contractor from either MJ Quinn’s or Kelly’s?

Hi Starwire, it was a contractor from MJ Quinn's (at least based on the van he was driving). He definitely didn't waste any time when he got here... came in, found the socket was dead, left a device plugged in whilst he went to the cabinet, came back around 10 mins later, got a dial-tone and was out of the door in less than 5 minutes. It was nearly 4pm and getting dark, so maybe he didn't fancy it.

I asked him if it was possible to move/extend it to the lounge or dining room, and if so, could he do it now? His reply was basically, "it's a DIY job, drill out here, plug in cable, run it around the outside of house, drill in a hole where you want it and feed it through."

Is there any way I can go about getting it resolved via BT/Openreach? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 26

Go back to your point of contact in BT and report that the order was not fulfilled satisfactorily as Openreach's  contractor didn't carry out the installation as he was obliged to do. Post back here if you don't get any sense from customer services.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 26

MJ Quinn’s. The reason he didn’t move it as requested is because Contractors are paid per job, not a Salary.

Why stay at yours another hour shifting it when he could pick up another job and do the same to someone else and make another £27 or whatever it is they get paid per job now.

Used to be a massive problem when all VDSL Installs were done via a Managed Install as they used to make up all sorts of stories as to why they couldn’t supply Data Extension Sockets, the top one usually being, ‘BT refuse to supply us with the cable to do them’. 🤔

As Licquorice said, I’d ring BT and put in a Compaint about it. That’ll get passed onto Openreach who will either pass it onto Quinn’s to go back and do the job properly or they may just send an Openreach Engineer to sort it.
0 Ratings
JamesCO
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 26

@licquorice wrote:

Go back to your point of contact in BT and report that the order was not fulfilled satisfactorily as Openreach's  contractor didn't carry out the installation as he was obliged to do. Post back here if you don't get any sense from customer services.

Put in a complaint with BT, they came back today and were firm that it was £130 charge to move the M/S or £205 to extend it. According to the person who got in contact with me, the only case of them moving it for free is when a window is being replaced and could potentially damage the cabling.

As it wasn't a new install and the socket was already located in the hallway, they're not required to move or extend? Is that true or are they trying it on?

@Starwire2000wrote:
MJ Quinn’s. The reason he didn’t move it as requested is because Contractors are paid per job, not a Salary.

Why stay at yours another hour shifting it when he could pick up another job and do the same to someone else and make another £27 or whatever it is they get paid per job now.

Used to be a massive problem when all VDSL Installs were done via a Managed Install as they used to make up all sorts of stories as to why they couldn’t supply Data Extension Sockets, the top one usually being, ‘BT refuse to supply us with the cable to do them’. 🤔

As Licquorice said, I’d ring BT and put in a Compaint about it. That’ll get passed onto Openreach who will either pass it onto Quinn’s to go back and do the job properly or they may just send an Openreach Engineer to sort it.

Tried the above but had no luck from BT, they were adamant that £130 charge would be levied if I wanted the M/S moved to a different room or £200+ to have it extended...! Any ideas on why they won't rectify?

Should I cancel the BT Fibre package and try another provider who might move it for me? Not sure what my options are at this point.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 26

Moving Providers won’t help as all they’ll do is a Working Line Takeover, which is all done remotely without the need for a visit.

Is it BT Complaints who are saying they’ll only shift it for the £130 charge?

BT need to be raising a Complaint themselves with Openreach.
0 Ratings