cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colan59
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Master Socket Query

When I got FTTC  installed a few years ago, before the engineer arrived I ran a new Cat6  cable from my master socket downstairs up a chase into the loft and then down into my box room where my PC  etc. is located.  He used this and moved the master socket there. I have since ran a network to various rooms via RJ45 plate from there.

I now need to move my PC equipment to another room and would like your opinion on best way to deal with the master socket.

Option : 4 would be the easiest, but involves  2 socket joins between master and modem which may drop my speed?    

Option : 1 Run a new cable from original Master downstairs up to loft and down to new room and move master to there as originally done. ( Proper thing then would be to get BT Engineer to come and re-terminate at old master and fit new one)

Option 2 : Leave master in box room, run a new cable from back of existing master  straight to a socket in new room and connect Openreach modem to that. ( One socket join)

Option 3 :  Re-route Cat 6 cable in loft to new room and move master socket there. This would involve cutting cable in loft and making a joint in master cable

Option 4 : Use Patch cable from master to RJ45, pick up from RJ 45 already in new room to modem.  Tried to show this with sketch below ( Two socket joins)

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Set up.jpg

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Master Socket Query

The cable that needs to be the shortest is from your master socket to modem, so why not leave modem where it is and just use a variant of option4 to connect modem to router. Modem and router have no need to be co-located.

0 Ratings
Colan59
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Licquorice,  thanks for the prompt reply. 

I did not know that had to be the shortest length.  I can do your suggestion which would be the easiest way for me just now.

Is that the same for a modem/router?   If in the future I decided to go for a combined unit  then would I need to move master socket to maintain a short cable length.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

In essence, DSL speed is affected by length and quality of cabling whereas in general Ethernet is not.

If you change to a combined unit, again leave the master socket where it is along with the modem/ router and use Ethernet via patch panel to connect PC

0 Ratings