Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chopper94
Message 1 of 25

Master Socket Wiring

Hello,

I have been having several issues with the internet and have gotten a lot closer to the problem. 

However I am still having slower speeds than the line speed to the property and drop outs. 

I've gotten up to 46mbps from 22 over the last couple of months through changing things however I am expecting 50 to 54mbps. 50 being the minimum guarantee. 

In the master socket there is a loose orange wire which looks like it is supposed to be connected?

Does anything look out of place?

thumbnail_IMG_0340.jpg

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Master Socket Wiring

socket looks ok   orange wire is normally bellwire and no longer needed and in fact better disconnected

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
JonathanAnsell
Contributor
Message 3 of 25

Assuming the blue wires are coming in from outside and not going to an extension, shouldn't they be connected behind the faceplate?

Well the bit that unscrewns not the bit the just unclips? 

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 25

Yes, they should. They are currently connected to the data extension terminals.

Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 25

I understand the aim of this thread is to investigate the wiring condition, but you've mentioned that you're not getting your minimum speed.

Are those speed test result from using a wired or wireless connection?

Can you post the stats from your router?

Is the line noisy? Dial 17070 and select option 2. The line should be quiet (other than a hum if using a cordless phone) between the announcements.

Can you try connecting the Hub to the test socket (the one shown in your image) with a filter? See if the speed increases.

Can you post the result of your phone number from here: http://dslchecker.bt.com. Remember to blank out the number but leave the cabinet and exchange info.

Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 25

@JonathanAnsell wrote:

Assuming the blue wires are coming in from outside and not going to an extension, shouldn't they be connected behind the faceplate?

Except the wires shown are for the extention (clue insulation colour).

0 Ratings
chopper94
Message 7 of 25

I've also attached a screenshot from the bt wholesale speed test, it is identical to the test I did prior to plugging into the mastsocket test slot. 

Router stats added to bottom. Showing 55 download speed? 

Thanks. 

Image 18-02-2019 at 15.56.jpg

Image 18-02-2019 at 16.22.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 25

@pippincp wrote:

@JonathanAnsell wrote:

Except the wires shown are for the extention (clue insulation colour).

Err, how do you work that out, that piece of internal cable is probably connected to the external cable elsewhere. Just because it is internal cable doesn't mean it goes to an extension.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 25

Stand corrected.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

@chopper94 Presumably you are on Superfast 1 which is a 55/10 product and you are syncing at maximum speed.

Use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

0 Ratings