cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annej
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Master socket

I recently moved to the property.  I am having line cord issues so trying to rule out my equipment before I raise a BT engineer callout.  I followed the diagnostics on the help page. I undid the screws on my master socket to use the test socket. The master socket is so old it does not have one. I would like at least to update my master socket but who do I get to do that. Does it belong to BT?, Do BT do this or who would you suggest to do it. I cannot do it myself as my vision is really not good enough for wiring.

I have tried a new ASDL filter, new phone chord. My broadband is perfect but I have no dial tone on my landline.

Any advice welcome.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Master socket

It sounds like your telephone line has one wire disconnected, I would get the line tested, If you only have one master socket in the home that is BT's responsibility , if you have internal wiring ( Extension) that is yours so if the engineer should say its your wiring that has as problem they will try to charge you, but just say they have to provide a NTE (network terminating point) , so you can disconnect your own wiring for testing, and this is their responsibility.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

sorry but are you sure that is the first socket after the openreach cable enters your home?

if you connect a corded phone do you get a dial tone?  if not then phone then phone customer service and get phone engineer to fix phone  he will probably replace master if as old as you say

It is openreach who are responsible for your actual line and master socket not BT Retail

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
annej
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Thanks. I cannot find any other sockets so it must be the master.

0 Ratings
annej
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I am buying a cheap corded phone on way home from work. It's a minefield of knowing who is responsible for what. It confused me because Broadband is perfect.
0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Just borrow a phone from next door to test save your money , Master socket is BT's responsibility.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

@annej wrote:
I am buying a cheap corded phone on way home from work. It's a minefield of knowing who is responsible for what. It confused me because Broadband is perfect.

Broadband will sometimes work with one wire disconnected, but the phone definitely won't.

0 Ratings
annej
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

Thankyou, that makes sense.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

Also the phone line parts company with the broadband at the green cabinet if you have Superfast broadband so the fault could be between the cabinet and the exchange.

0 Ratings
annej
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

The new corded phone didnt work. I searched the house for any phone sockets. There might be something in a red box in a cupboard but looks old and ex GPO. I cant k neel down to check it out properly. If this is an extension it's way before my time and obsolete. Surely BT should update the input when you take a new account as a customer....I pay enough each month. Going to take a risk and get an engineer out.

0 Ratings