cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bigtwigman
Message 1 of 9

Max DSLAM throughput dropped to from 80000 to 74000 for no reason

Hi there, newbie question here...

I have had FTTC for a few years and it's been stable at 79999kbps (Max. DSLAM throughput shown as 80000 on my FRITZ!box router).

Max attainable always hovers around 82000, but one day I noticed that the Max DSLAM throughput dropped to 74000 and current throughput to 73999.

I called my ISP to get BT to reset the DSLAM, but they were having none of it as it is 'within spec'.

I have lost 6 megs of download, which is more than the total I had until not too long ago so I am pretty sore about it, as it is seemingly for no reason.

Does anyone know if there's a way I can get BT to do something about this, or am I peeing in the breeze?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 9

Re: Max DSLAM throughput dropped to from 80000 to 74000 for no reason

' I called my ISP to get BT to reset the DSLAM ' suggests BT may not be your ISP, is BT your ISP ?, you may find any 'help' offered restricted to call your own ISP , if BT are not your provider, understandable advice on a BT consumer forum
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 9

As mentioned you said you Contact your ISP to get BT to reset the DLM.

The DLM is controlled by Openreach, not BT.

The only way you’ll get it reset is for your ISP to report an FTTC Fault to Openreach and have them send an Engineer.

Depending on what type of DSLAM you have though resetting the DLM could have a negative affect.
0 Ratings
Bigtwigman
Message 4 of 9

I am with Plusnet, who are owned by BT. Plusnet say they have to report fault to Openreach, but, as it is not a 'fault' as the line speed is in spec, albeit lower than it needs to be, then BT will not do anything about it.

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 9

By referring to BT in this case just causes confusion, 'BT' are not your provider and consequently under no obligation to you in anyway....any queries you have should be directed to your ISP, Plusnet
If your connection is above the minimum rate , then Plusnet are under no obligation to do anything, and obviously OR are not clairvoyant .

The industry is set up by the regulator,  so that you the consumer cannot deal directly with your ISP's supplier (OR)  so unfortunately there isn't much you can do...asking on a BT consumer forum when you are not a BT customer is a little odd after all would you post on Sky or TT customer forums ?

0 Ratings
Bigtwigman
Message 6 of 9

OK, fair point. Is it really material to the question though? If I were with BT consumer as an ISP the answer would be the same wouldn't it? I am getting the feeling here that I am stuck with it though. It seems a shame that I lost 6megs for no reason. It just feels wrong that they can't just reset it, surely it's just a couple of key strokes... Anyway, thanks for the feedback.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 9

If your line has been banded because of a temporary problem , that has now gone, then over time your line may recover to the previous sync rate, if the reduction is due to crosstalk from other FTTC customers , then the reduction could be permanent.

Presumably  the router you are using isn't one supplied by your ISP , you could try using the one they supplied , connected in the master socket test port , to see if that helps.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

No, it’s not just a few key strokes.
0 Ratings