cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Odai
Contributor
Message 1 of 24

Max speed estimate of 55mbps - Unlimited Infinity 1 or 2?

Go to solution

Hello

FTTC recently went live on our cabinet and I jumped on the chance to order BT Infinity. 

Unfortunately my speed estimate on dslchecker isn't great. After years suffering on about 7mbps ADSL and Virgin recently cancelling planned works in our area to make services available (up to 300mbps maaaan!!!), BT website and dslchecker state a disappointing likely max of 55mbps on our line:

When I went to order online, I got the option to choose between Infinity 1 and Infinity 2 packages. I would have opted for the Infinity 2 package (even though it's projected to be just 3mbps faster than Infinity 1 on our line), but in the live chat I opened (for help with a billing issue), the sales rep who assisted me in the order process insisted Infinity 2 wouldn't be available at our property. He said that I should just order Infinity 1 and upgrade to Infinity 2 when it becomes available. 

I'm guessing the rep made a mistake and simply confused the lack of significant benefit Infintiy 2 is likely to offer over Infinity 1 with an actual incapability for my line to support Infinity 2. 

What are your thoughts?

My new service is to go live on the 1st February. I've been thinking of swapping to Infinity 2 however. I've already had it confirmed by the same sales rep that I can do so easily during my contract (although he insisted it could be done only once Infinity 2 became "available").   

Right now I'm thinking that if I find the connection actually syncs at the maximum of 52mbps on Thursday, I should seriously consider Infinity 2 for any additional benefit. However, if I change to Infinity 2 and find it's a negligble difference, will BT allow me to downgrade back to Infinity 1 without penalty or re-contracting?

Thanks!

Odai.

0 Ratings
23 REPLIES 23
Zombie
Expert
Message 2 of 24

Re: Max speed estimate of 55mbps - Unlimited Infinity 1 or 2?

Go to solution

Hi @Odai Absolutely no point in being on infinity 2. You are right to be on infinity 1. Infinity 1 is 55/10 product. All being well with the line your hub should sync at 55/10.  Hopefully giving you a throughput of 52Mbps in a perfect world. As the dsl checker shows 55 down is the best you can get infinity 2 is pointless for you.

Infinity 2 is and 80/20 product but you would still only sync at 55 down you might get a couple of Mbps more on the upload speed you would probably sync at something like 55/13 with infinity 2. Hardly worth it in my opinion.

imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 24

Go to solution

your estimate from the dslchecker is 55/39mb  there is no guarantee that you will get the top estimate of 55mb and you may be somewhere in the middle range  Until you are actually live you cannot tell what your actual connection speed will be  I agree with @Zombie there is no point in having infinity 2 as you will not see/notice any benefit  stick with infinity 1 and you will notice big improvement from your previous adsl speed of 7mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 4 of 24

Go to solution

Thanks guys, I'll stick with it. 

Out of interest, I'm guessing there is nothing to indicate my line could get any faster in the future as the sales rep seemed to believe (when he suggested Infinity 2 will "become available")? 

G.fast as I understand it is provided as a completely separate product, and even if Vectoring kicks in on our cabinet it probably wouldn't make a difference to the speeds I get starting Thursday given I'm probably one of the first on our cabinet to sign up to FTTC services.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 24

Go to solution

until you are connected you cannot tell what the max is for your line but the max speed from the estimate is 55mb regardless if you selected infinity 1 or 2.  you can get infinity 2 as everything is just the same as infinity 1 just there is a max speed cap on infinity 1  

no point wasting money on infinity 2 when you cannot from the estimates speeds get infinity 2 speeds

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
wisty
Contributor
Message 6 of 24

Go to solution

I would start with infinity 1 and 

a) see what the router says are the maximum speeds you can get after it settles down.

b) see if you find the infinity 1 speeds a constraint.

My DSL checker figures are slightly worse than yours    

VDSL Range A (Clean)51.93511.67.232.4Available---- 
VDSL Range B (Impacted)40.926.210.25.322Available---- 

and when I first went to fibre (With plusnet on their 40/2 product) the router said I had a maximum speed of 45Mb/s so I was happy enough with the 40/2 product. However last May something odd happened to the SNR. It suddeny leapt from its usual 7-8 up to 16+ and the router now said the max available was 62+Mbps. 

As an experiment I switched to Plusnet's 80/20 product, and sure enough I got 65+Mbps as a downstream speed. In fact switching routers to my Billion 8800NL actually got me as far as 72Mbps downstream. I am fairly sure this was the result of the implemetation of vectoring on the cabinet.

I am now on the BT 55/10 product which syncs at 54995/9999 while the router (still the Billion) is still telling me I could get 72+. However I find the 55/10 product more than fast enough for my needs - I can happily stream 4KHD TV (which eats about 30Mbs) while doing other things. 

0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 7 of 24

Go to solution
Thanks for that, I think I will wait until Thursday then and see what the sync speed is first.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 8 of 24

Go to solution

OK, service has been enabled (one day late, mind).

Sync rate of 55/10, and speedtest.net reports 51.96/9.37. Hopefully nothing decreases as the speed is set over the next couple of weeks. 

But so far it does seem like I am being capped by the service, right?

Given that it's just a software change, what are the chances BT would permit me to upgrade to Infinity 2 to 'test' the speeds and then downgrade back to Infinity 1 should they not be significantly higher?

I just can't help but recall that my actual throughput on ADSL was higher than the upper limit suggested by dslchecker - kinda hopeful it's the same with VDSL!!  

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 24

Go to solution

What is your noise margin, that will give an indication of likely speed increase.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 24

Go to solution

the dslchecker showed 55mb as top of estimated range so probably not much more available if any  a few more mb in speed will not be noticeable for the extra  I woukd doubt Bt will allow you a 'trial run' of infinity 2

what speed is max attainable in router stats

0 Ratings