cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 24

Re: Max speed estimate of 55mbps - Unlimited Infinity 1 or 2?

Go to solution

I wouldn't think connecting your phone will make a difference ( edit  we all seem to agree  lol)  however if renovating then switching power off/on as you work could be a problem if done often

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 22 of 24

Go to solution
Gotcha, thanks everyone.

Will see what BT can offer in terms of an upgrade and update this thread accordingly.
0 Ratings
Odai
Contributor
Message 23 of 24

Go to solution

Just got off the phone with BT, unfortunately the cheapest offer they could give me is about £55 per month. 

When I placed my order for Infinity 1, the advisor who talked me through the order process in the online chat explicitly confirmed that I could upgrade to Infinity 2 for an extra £10 per month only, with no need to re-contract. 

The lady I spoke to on the phone was adamant there would be no way she could offer that price, stating that what the sales advisor had said might have been valid at the time, but not anymore. 

I understand I'm still in the 14 day cooling off period (which runs from when the service first goes live as I understand it), but she said that I cannot take advantage of this and switch to another provider because it takes 14 days for another provider to organise a transfer anyway. 

Not great. I guess this is an issue I should open a new thread for on a different part of the forum, but just on the technical side - what is it the significance of the 'maximum data rate' and 'noise margin' specifications? None of the people I spoke to today on the phone understood that I may be able to get faster speeds than my estimate of up to 55mbps as indicated on dslchecker. 

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 24

Go to solution

the max data rate suggests you could theoretically get up to 68mb but in prectice probably about 62/65mb and maybe even lower as you were one of first on cabinet and as others join the crosstalk increases and your speed reduces.  in the end the increase you would get over your current would maybe be 5/7mb and not sure that would be worth the additional cost.  you probably would hardly notice the difference

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings