cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Maximum wall thickness

My fibre install is scheduled for tomorrow but I have a question about the cable installation into the house. At present the copper enters by the corner of a window. The window is not drilled and the cable was fitted prior to being cemented up. It has a dog-leg shape and is trapped in the cement work so cannot just be pulled out. I don't want the window frame to be drilled - it's part of  a renovation in 1860 and I want it to be kept intact. The window is set deeply into the wall and it's not possible to drill there - an access route would need to be chiselled in and made good.

I would prefer the new fibre cable to run through the wall in a nearby position which would be much better situated. The wall thickness is 530mm so my question is do Openreach engineers carry appropriate drill bits? If not, we have time today to get hold of a long SDS bit and pre-drill a hole if necessary in readiness. I took a look at the property next door where the cable enters and it looks to be 10mm - is this correct?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Maximum wall thickness

The engineer should have a bit long enough.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Openreach Engineers have access to 1m drill bits. Whether the one you get actually carry’s one. 🤷‍

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

1m bit !
Last time I had to drill a wall that thick i had to do it from both sides and hope they lined up (never mind one side was 40 ft in the air). Long bits tend to bend when they hit different densities (in my case, rebar) so the exit hole can be anywhere within a few inches.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Thanks for the replies, that's encouraging. The wall has a rubble infill so every time you pull the drill back it fills up, but we're used to that. Will report back later today hopefully.

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Well, the installation didn't go as expected. When my Husband spoke to the fibre team they said an initial inspection would be needed. This was also stated when I placed the order. This never happened and the engineer arrived without any advance information on what was involved and that a cherry picker was needed - he had to go away and arrange this, causing a delay.

We went out late afternoon the day before and as a backup plan bought a 600mm bit from Screwfix. A good job, because all the engineer had was a bit that was too short, and a 1M one - too long to be able to get inside the window recess so had to use the one we'd bought.

The installation itself in the house is tidy and inconspicuous, though the cabling to the house is a figure-of-eight copper/fibre type because the engineer didn't know the distance of the spans in advance, and that's all he had that was long enough. Everyone else around has the thinner fibre-only cable and there are lots of kinks and twists in our cable, which doesn't look right - see photo, a bit poor but you can see the kinks.

The big annoyance though is that we'd spoken in advance to the fibre team about having a digital phone service, and when we placed the order this is what was agreed. The order is for broadband and a digital phone upgrade. The person who took the order confirmed that the engineer would bring a new hub, as well as a choice of either a single advanced phone, or two basic models as part of the package we signed up for. The hub turned up in the post, but the engineer did not bring the phones and explained that they never do bring any such equipment.

I spent almost 1 hour trying to get through to the call centre to attempt to sort out what was happening. This caused a further delay because the engineer did not know whether to remove the old copper service, which was his intention. I asked why the phones were missing and was told that I would not be getting an upgraded phone service. Instead we'd have to keep the old copper connection as the digital service is not yet being rolled out to our type of 'Brownfield' location and that there will be many other customers in this situation.

So now we have two separate drop cables to the house going to two different points. However, the engineer said he had done digital voice installs off our exchange, so I'm completely puzzled and angry with BT for agreeing to supply a package that they are unable (or unwilling) to provide.

To make matters worse, I registered my grievance and was given a case number. I was immediately notified by email after the call ended that the case was closed, without any remedy or explanation.
All I have is some notes from my conversation with the call centre, a £20 refund on the account for the inconvenience and a promise from my contact that there will be an investigation into the misinformation but as the case is now closed I'm sure this won't happen.

Where do I go from here? - is there anyone who can actually confirm that we can or cannot get a digital phone service, and what happens when it does become available - will I then get my included phones that should have been supplied with my package? I asked the operator to listen back to me placing the order and what was agreed, but this doesn't seem to have happened due to the rapid closing of the case.

Overhead Cable2.jpg

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

They’ve used a 160m O/H Hybrid Cable.

For some unknown reason to me the 160m O/H has the Fibre in the thinner sheathing and the Copper Pair in the thicker one.

All 160m O/H Hybrids look like that when first installed, no matter how much you tension them on the clamp. It’s just because they’ve been wound onto a drum for so long.

Give it time and now that it’s stretched out it’ll naturally straighten.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

@Starwire  I understand, thanks for that explanation, one less thing to be concerned about.

0 Ratings