cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Maxiumium data rate/ DLN question

Go to solution

Hi there. recently moved from full copper to fibre (FTTC) area, Got a few questions.

The BT Smart Hub data shows this:

Spoiler
Product name:Smart Hub

Serial number:+088047+1828009895

Firmware version:v0.11.03.08090-BT

Firmware updated:Tue Nov 29 20:08:50 2022

Board version:01

DSL uptime:1 days,17 Hours11 Mins40 Secs

Data rate:9.346 Mbps / 39.998 Mbps

Maximum data rate:9.346 Mbps / 49.546 Mbps

Noise margin:5.9 / 9.5

Line attenuation:29.5 / 20.3

Signal attenuation:29.4 / 20.0

I understand that there is DLM on BT lines, but is it likely that i will get the maximum data rate? I don't understand how good the signal/noise ratios are so any advice on those is also appreciated - Does a shorter ADSL cable make any difference? 

Next question. I understand that BT residential do not offer static ip's on IPv4 (understandable) or IPv6 (absolutely backwards IMHO). I would really like a static IP as I frequently remote into home machines for various reasons. Is it possible to keep BT TV, BT Landline ETC while moving the broadband to someone whom offers static IP address. Its not the end of the world if BT can't do this as im getting a second WAN at the address via Fixed wireless (FTTP in December, but not via BT)  

Thanks to all on this forum, have been a long time lurker and is there is really useful resources on here.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Maxiumium data rate/ DLN question

Go to solution

@djenson2000 wrote:

Hi there. recently moved from full copper to fibre (FTTC) area, Got a few questions.

The BT Smart Hub data shows this:

Spoiler

I understand that there is DLM on BT lines, but is it likely that i will get the maximum data rate?

Your line has been banded by DLM due to instability. Have you been rebooting the hub to try and get a faster speed? DLM will eventually relent and your speed will increase to the max data rate, however, it could take several weeks of stability to do so.

I don't understand how good the signal/noise ratios are so any advice on those is also appreciated - Does a shorter ADSL cable make any difference? 

Your SNRM is high as DLM has reduced your speed.

Next question. I understand that BT residential do not offer static ip's on IPv4 (understandable) or IPv6

Totally incorrect, IPv6 is available on all lines

(absolutely backwards IMHO). I would really like a static IP as I frequently remote into home machines for various reasons.

Is it possible to keep BT TV, BT Landline ETC while moving the broadband to someone whom offers static IP address.

No

Its not the end of the world if BT can't do this as im getting a second WAN at the address via Fixed wireless (FTTP in December, but not via BT)  

Thanks to all on this forum, have been a long time lurker and is there is really useful resources on here.

Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

Next question. I understand that BT residential do not offer static ip's on IPv4 (understandable) or IPv6

Totally incorrect, IPv6 is available on all lines

I'm not sure that that answer is based on reading the question as intended. I can read the question as:

Next question. I understand that BT residential do not offer static ip's on either IPv4 (understandable) or IPv6

OR

Next question. I understand that BT residential do not offer IPv6 or static ip's on IPv4 (understandable)

My changes in red, I think @djenson2000 intended the former, but @licquorice has read it as the latter.

Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

@countrypaul Yes, that is how I read it, but your reading makes more sense on re-reading. That being the case, I agree that BT don't offer static IPv6 addresses.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Thank you @countrypaul , I should have phased it better. Thank you @licquorice for the responses to my question