cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
h_milsom
Contributor
Message 1 of 11

May I ask BT to move or reinstall fibre modem?

I’ve recently had FTTP fitted at 150/30 mb/s and it works well. However the black fibre cable runs around the house and is unsightly. 

A neighbour has had his modem installed in a different position in his (identical) house with no visible cable.

Will bt move my installation if I ask? May I request a new, longer optical cable to be fitted? I am within 3m of the bt fibre access pit ...

Kind Regards

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: May I ask BT to move or reinstall fibre modem?

You can ask by all means but you will have to pay for it.

0 Ratings
h_milsom
Contributor
Message 3 of 11

How best to approach them? Online? Telephone?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Its Openreach that would do the work. They may give you an estimate of the cost, but it may not be cheap as they would have to run a new cable in.

Try this form https://www.ournetwork.openreach.co.uk/altering-our-network/when-you-want-our-network-moved.aspx

-Richie-
Expert
Message 5 of 11

If BT are your ISP then ring BT and speak with the connections team, they can place the socket move order.
If BT are not your ISP, then contact who ever provides the service.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

@-Richie-

This is not simply a socket move,as its FTTP, its a relocation of the Openreach ONT and a replacement fibre cable from the splitter, to the new location of the ONT.  Its not going to be cheap.

This sort of thing could happen if someone was building an extension, and the fibre cable was in the way.

If it was just FTTC, then it would be much simpler as its just a relocation of the master socket and incoming copper cable. I believe that is covered by BT Retail under a fixed charge, which was mentioned in a previous post by a moderator.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Advice-please-on-removing-unused-Openreach-socket/m-p/1891662#M...

and https://community.bt.com/t5/Landline/Advice-please-on-removing-unused-Openreach-socket/m-p/1891669#M...

Message 7 of 11

It’s not a Pit, it’s a Joint Footway Box.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
LittleHelper
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Give the fibre to the home team a ring. They need to send an email off to openreach to get that arranged for you.

They will ask your preferred date but can't guarantee this as with FTTH being a newer service there is no official process in place for the advisors to book you an appointment for that kind of work themselves just yet. The engineers should contact you back directly to confirm a date.
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 11

@Starwire2000 wrote:
It’s not a Pit, it’s a Joint Footway Box.

Of course it isn't a pit. Pits have these on top of them.Pit Head.jpg

h_milsom
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Have you seen the state of it? It’s a pit ...

0 Ratings