cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Techwizz
Aspiring Expert
Message 11 of 19

Re: May I ask BT to move or reinstall fibre modem?

Go to solution
@licquorice, ikr haha! @Starwire2000's post was least helpful. XD
0 Ratings
edinglas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

Hi

The incoming fibre optic cable is simplex OS2 single mode with an SC APC connector.

This is a single green plug.

It simply unplugs from the Openreach ONT fibre termination point.

The Openreach ONT can be moved by using the correct adaptors and cables to extend the incoming fibre cable.

It is simpler than installing a telephone extension socket as all the connectors are plug-in.

The key thing is not to bend the fibre beyond its bend radius of 1 cm.

Rather than source all the individual cables and adaptors there are fibre termination point relocation kits available.

Hopefully that helps

0 Ratings
h_milsom
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

Many thanks!

Hugh

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

Hi @h_milsom just to make you aware that ONT is the property of Openreach and if any damage to the fibre line or ONT occurs when moving it Openreach would raise a charge for repairing their network so it's not advisable undertaking this work yourself. 

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
h_milsom
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution
Got it - thanks ....

H
0 Ratings
Stripey
Beginner
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

Sorry to jump on an existing thread but I have a very similar issue with perhaps 1 different question. (Please excuse my lack of technical terminology below!).

I have BT FTTP. It was installed around Jan 2021. I have the small grey box on the outside of the house at the front, and then about 25m of cable run around the outside of the house/garage to the back where it enters the house and plugs into the modem thing.

I will be having some building work done in a few month's time and will need to move this cable. The box/modem on the inside can stay where it is. Essentially, instead of the cable running around the outside of the attached garage, it could run inside the garage and enter the house at the same point. This run would be about 10-15m shorter.

Is it possible to just unplug the cable from the modem, push it out through the wall, unclip the cable from the outside wall, reclip onto inside wall (maybe leave some of the excess cable in the garage ceiling area) and then shove the cable back through the wall and plug in again? This would not need anything doing to the grey box end.

If this isn't feasible, if the alternative is a fresh cable installation, what sort of price is that likely to be roughly? (Straight run from outside box, 1 wall, about 15m max).

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

@Stripey 

Please see the post by @NeilO 

You would not be able to move the optical cable yourself. Once you unplug it from the modem, the fibre end will become contaminated and would not work again unless its cleaned and examined by special optical equipment which Openreach have.

Openreach would need to do the work, but you would have to place the request via BT Retail.

0 Ratings
Starwire
Recognised Expert
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

This is what Openreach Engineers use to clean SC Connectors.

They’re as about as technical as using a rock to break open walnuts.  

None are given those fancy looking microscopes, far to expensive. Just cheaper to change the EZ Bend Cable.

046B207C-D759-4E68-8D63-0514D3B4C153.jpeg

0 Ratings
edinglas
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Yes...technically you can do this.

I'm not sure that you are strictly speaking allowed to do it as you are interfering with the Openreach network.

I plug and unplug fibre connectors regularly when connecting and disconnecting fibre patch leads.

The Openreach fibre connection is no different.

Fibre patch leads come with a cheap plastic protective cover...a bit like a dustcap.

If you can't find one of those then buy a single mode fibre patch lead on line and use one of those

0 Ratings