Highlighted
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 15

Migrating from residential to business fibre

Go to solution

Hi, 

I'm currently on BT Infinity2, never have any issues and constantly get 75/18

If I move to a business account will I notice any difference in speed, throughput or performance during the day and in the evening / Weekends ?

I'll be going for the unlimited account (£5 extra) + Static IP Addresses. (£5.50)

Apart from the Static address etc, will I notice anything else ??

The company I work for are looking to pay for this, so the cost isn't an issue.
(although I find it hard to understand why the same product costs more !)

Thanks

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Migrating from residential to business fibre

Go to solution
You should get the same speeds as you presently do. No better no worse. You get a better level of service if there is a fault and you can claim compensation for loss of business. You also get static IP address as you know.
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 15

Go to solution
Thanks.. Just been discussing this looks like I'll be moving across.

Any idea if torrents and p2p will be affected ? I download a lot of Linux distros see need this to work.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

Go to solution

That could be an sore point! BT say there is no traffic management on Infinity, see the link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/c/346

but there are a number of posters on the forum that will argue that there are limits.

EDIT: This is in relation to residential. There are limits on business. See my next message.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 5 of 15

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

That could be an sore point! BT say there is no traffic management on Infinity, see the link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/47278/c/346

but there are a number of posters on the forum that will argue that there are limits.

But would a Business Infinity acc be different.

toekneem

(EASBF)

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 15

Go to solution
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 15

Go to solution

Hmm. That might just be the killer.

I download from our company servers using p2p and from Ubuntu, openSUSE, Centos etc everyday.

Have that limited is going to affect how I work. Currently is get very fast speeds.

Curious to know what the real effect is on a business connection, presumably no way to know unless I try it.

Looks like I'll have to shop around and see what others are offering.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

Go to solution

Does it have to be a business line? Are you only changing to allow the billing to be changed. Is there not some way you could claim it is a business expense through your company rather than having to change the actual BT contract.

0 Ratings
Puppy
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

Go to solution

Are you actually doing the downloads via P2P. not just ftp or http?

When you donwload from the office are you doing this via VPN or will be doing this via VPN?

When you transfer to a business account will the company you are working for going to create a VPN between you and them? (Hence requirement for a static IP). If so will they force all your traffic via the company firewalls, proxy's content filters, etc.

If traffic to the office is via VPN even if it the traffic is P2P BT will not see the traffic type because it's going to be hidden in a tunnel.

Getting the SLA's on a business line are well worth the cost.

Dave
0 Ratings
MadPanther
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 15

Go to solution

Thanks for all the replies.

Because of the work I do I have a bit of a strange setup. I do use a VPN to connect to the office, but not for all devices.

Some use the VPN, others go out direct via the router. I can't download the the p2p distros via the VPN as the offices connection is slower than mine.!

Normally I get the distros using p2p, not ftp/http I find this is quicker, so don't want to lose that.

Upto now I've had NO issues with BT Infinity2, but I need a static IP. Main reason is I run multiple SIP trunks and when my IP changes I have to email the providers to ask them to update there settings.. Being static would solve that.

If I stay with BT the p2p will slow down which I don't want.. PlusNet (BT?) offer a business service for a similar price, so I may have to consider that.. not to sure what there traffic managerment is like.

Thanks

0 Ratings