Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 111 of 139

Re: Milton Keynes / Bradwell Abbey Exchange / FTTP Trial

@Wingman_1 wrote:
Just spoke to a BT engineer in Broughton. Current ETA for go live for all providers is end of June. They are still in the process of 'surveying' trial customers apparantly.

Just another thought. June was when the FTTP trial was expected to end, so could this be reference to when the FTTP product will be available to purchase (probably under the Infinity brand), rather than trial only?

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 112 of 139

I understand the latest date is October 2011 for the trial to finish.

But there have been some indications that Broughton was holding things up??? Not sure where I heard that.

0 Ratings
Athelstan
Aspiring Contributor
Message 113 of 139

OK - just a word here about speed.  I've had the fibre trial since late October and it's been pretty unremerkable in that it's hardly ever broken down.  The Hub occasionally needs a reset but once every three weeks tops.

Thing is - I was on 1.4Mb before. Now I'm on about 37Mb (Upload is up from 330k to 10Mb). But here's the thing. Some web sites are the same. In fact, most web sites are the same! All that extra speed at my end is making no difference to many of the web sites I use.

I guess (having spent my career in comms) that I knew about the 'only as fast as the slowest bit in the network' but it's been brought home over the past few months. IF (and it's clearly a big if)  the web site you're using has a big enough pipe into the internet, you're going to be thrilled. But quite a few don't, and so it's going to take a while for those of us on fast links to actually enjoy the benefit.

Would I go back? Not a chance!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 114 of 139

Yes, there seems to be some movement on the FTTP trial to flats in Broughton. They may be keeping the FTTP trial going for that testing to take place. We originally heard July, and there is some BT/OR work going on in the nearby Newport Road, so that makes sense.

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 115 of 139

considering all the latest activity, it now seems quite likely that the end of June is the date that the 'old' Broughton, that received fibre in Feb/Mar, will go live on the trial.

The surveying probably relates to the flats that are to take part in the FTTP trial (flats, even in enabled areas have been excluded so far).

The work on Newport road is probably the feed to Brooklands, and hopefully will serve Broughton new build developments, hence the comments that the Broughton new builds will get FTTP as well.

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 116 of 139

I see that some houses in MK109LL and MK109LB are showing as FTTP enabled on the DSL checker today.

i think these are near the circular section of Milton Road.

If you are in 'old' Broughton, I suggest you check if you are one of the luck few new additions to the FTTP trial area.

0 Ratings
PeteandKath
Message 117 of 139

Well we have had FTTP now for a couple of months and apart from the useless BT Speedtester that still thinks we don't have fibre, we average 68-75mb and have even hit 89mb on one test using Speedtest.net. No down time, no lockups, it seems to just work. 700mb iso image download in just over 3 minutes and the best for me is the 14mb uploads. Creating websites and working from home is noticably faster. Fibre trial is we are told to finish at the end of October for Monkston at least, not sure about other parts of Milton Keynes. Now then the proof will be is it going to be at a good price or silly money?

0 Ratings
horse
Message 118 of 139

Anyone else in the new Broughton Gate development (either in or near the Barratts one off the newport road / by Kingston)?

I got hold of plusnet and they said the trial is over, and the actual product is available. Gave them my new post code etc (haven't moved yet, 3 weeks now to go) and they said I could get fibre.

Just after moving from 20mb Virgin fibre in my previous house, to 1.5mb ADSL in my current house, I wont believe it until I get back on a phat pipe again 😛

0 Ratings
hippey
Expert
Message 119 of 139

There was some movement at OR with pricing for ISP's late last month which could explain some ISP's 'going live' but there are still issues in some areas of the roll out. I didn;t look closely if this was still the OR 'special offer' (trial) or if this was a final price guide, but the speeds were uprated again.

From work done a couple of weeks ago or so the flats on Monkston Park were being cabled to the ducting outside of them so it looks likes flats should be on stream soon.

0 Ratings
goosefraba
Contributor
Message 120 of 139

horse wrote: I got hold of plusnet and they said the trial is over, and the actual product is available. Gave them my new post code etc and they said I could get fibre.

plusnet has recently completed it's FTTC trial and that product is now available from them.

I am pretty sure that FTTP trial is still on-going, and no ISP is selling the FTTP product.

Even BT lists 100mb Infinity as coming soon for those addresses that are live.

'old' Broughton just over the stream from you got FTTP installed back in Mar/Apr, and those are just showing as FTTP avilable in the last few weeks (on the BT Checker, Infinity still shows 'coming soon'). I have not seen any address in Broughton new build areas as FTTx enabled.

So either you are lucky to be connected to an 'old' Broughton cabinet and can share in their FTTP fun, or they got the location info wrong (MK10 7xx post codes are invalid in many systems, and show information for the default MK10

MK10 7xx post codes are invalid in many systems, and show information for the MK10 defauly location).

But there has been some more Fibe work in Newport Road again, and I saw a post that someone in Brooklands is already live on Fibre. So maybe thy know something we don't and that cable really is for Broughton Gate/Chase/etc (new builds).

0 Ratings