cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Blinky2134
Contributor
Message 1 of 25

Mis-sold BT Infinity - dont think I will ever be able to get my guaranteed minimum!

I just moved from Sky fibre to BT Fibre - there are 5 of us in the house and everyone is either playing online or streaming netflix/youtube etc... I went for the 'up to 55Mbps service' and was told my guaranteed minimum was 39Mbps - fine for me as Sky was giving around 28Mbps. So, I cancel sky etc and take up BT Fibre and now find that I'm getting around 28Mbps, the same as with Sky!  I know this has only been up and running for 1 day and that over 10 days it might increase yada yada yada.... but let's be honest, it aint gonna jump from 28Mbps to 39Mbps, it might go up by a bit but not that much. Anyway, I then did a bit of digging and it seems that according to BT's OWN http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/ website the max I will get is pretty much exactly what I currently get and did get previously with Sky.  It seems to me that BT are luring customers away from other providers with there claim of up to xx knowing that once you have moved, you aint going to cancel the contract and go back to your previous provider, especially if your previous provider gave you the same speed as you currently get with BT.

Why are BT selling this service when their own website says it is not possible to achieve these speeds?

0 Ratings
24 REPLIES 24
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 25

Re: Mis-sold BT Infinity - dont think I will ever be able to get my guaranteed minimum!

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number  http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

assuming you have hh6 go to advanced settings then technical log admin and post stats

try quiet line test  dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with ethernet connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 25

Re: Mis-sold BT Infinity - dont think I will ever be able to get my guaranteed minimum!

Welcome to this user forum.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

If you have a BT Home Hub 6 (Smart Hub)

Please use this link to display the Smart hub (HH6) connection information

You will need to be connected to your home hub to do this/

0 Ratings
Blinky2134
Contributor
Message 4 of 25

BT.jpg

0 Ratings
Blinky2134
Contributor
Message 5 of 25

I also tried plugging it into the master socket int he hallway to remove the internal wiring but it made no difference. I really dont want to wait 10 days before then arranging to get an engineer visit to them be told there is nothing that can be done!
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 6 of 25

You should be able to get 39Mb+ according to the checker. We need to see the hub connection stats now.

HERE'S how to get them.

0 Ratings
Blinky2134
Contributor
Message 7 of 25

Ah thats good!  I can post the stats tonight, Im at work at the moment.

0 Ratings
Blinky2134
Contributor
Message 8 of 25

BTW is it the downstream handback threshold that I should be looking at?  I was looking at the lowset level that was shown - I am also wondering if something needs reset i.e. am I still sitting on the same speed as Sky, is there a reset at the cabinet that needs to happen to say I am now on the up to 52Mbps service?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 25

@Blinky2134 wrote:

Ah thats good!  I can post the stats tonight, Im at work at the moment.

The link I posted will actually take you directly to the correct page on the home hub 6, where the full connection information is available.

You can then simply cut and paste the results here later on.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 25

@Blinky2134 wrote:

BTW is it the downstream handback threshold that I should be looking at?  I was looking at the lowset level that was shown - I am also wondering if something needs reset i.e. am I still sitting on the same speed as Sky, is there a reset at the cabinet that needs to happen to say I am now on the up to 52Mbps service?

Its the minimum guaranteed connection speed you need to compare with the connection speed shown on the home hub.

So you need to be connecting at 39Mbs or above.

0 Ratings