Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 31 of 36

Re: Mismatch between "Minimum speed guarantee" and actual

Essentially, yes.

As above though, there may be no fault. It may be that your line is not matching the standard values used for the estimated speed calculation.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 32 of 36

The second engineer visit didn't improve anything. He did reset the DLM which boosted speed up to 38 Mbps temporarily but it's back to 34.88 now. Apart from that, he said there was nothing that could be done.

I did find out that we are 700m metres from the cabinet, not 100 as I thought. The cabinet is located at the local exchange.

I think I'm flogging a dead horse trying to get anything close to 49 Mbps.

0 Ratings
sja681
Contributor
Message 33 of 36

The speed of your connection will vary depending on the distance to the fibre cabinet that serves your house.

We are 450m metres from the cabinet, and get 55 Mbps max. That's why we changed down from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1,

still getting 55 Mbps on a guaranteed 52 Mbps line!

There are loads of distance against speed graphs available online, but why not try: https://availability.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_checker

For our connection this shows:

You are connected to the xxxxx telephone exchange.

• FTTC is available in your area

Downstream Min: 44.5 Mbps
Downstream Max: 61.8 Mbps
Upstream Min: 12 Mbps
Upstream Max: 18 Mbps

Also, are you using the BT Home Hub range or a 3rd party modem router?

We found that initially Draytek provided better downlink performance then Zyxel better again still!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 34 of 36

Can you post back the results of this checker editing out your phone number

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com

This is the one used by providers and gives the most information on your connection 

0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 36

Results from Sam Knows...

BT FTTC broadband availability

You are connected to the telephone exchange.

• FTTC is available in your area

Downstream Min: 52 Mbps 
Downstream Max: 68.6 Mbps
Upstream Min: 13.1 Mbps 
Upstream Max: 19.6 Mbps

» Matched result using the phone you provided

John, I actually posted the results from the BT DSL tester on the previous page...

Distance measured from my front door to the cabinet at the exchange (up the road and round the corner) is just short of 500 metres, not 700. The last 100 metres is on poles though, as is the electricity supply, so that may make a difference. 
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 36

An update.

I am now getting just over the 48 Mbps minimum guaranteed download speed with 48 to 50. I'm not sure when this happened and it wasn't as a result of any action by me. Maybe some wires have been unscrambled somewhere. However, I'm not complaining.

0 Ratings