cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 36

Mismatch between "Minimum speed guarantee" and actual

New Infinity customer here and a novice when it comes to interpretting the results of the various diagnostic tests suggested on this board, so please bear with me.

I've had infinity installed for ten days now, previously had copper direct to the exchange and the speed was more-or-less the maximum advertised at 18 Mbps. Infinity was/is advertised with a minimum speed guarantee of 49 Mbps. I'm getting 32.5 down. Is it reasonable for me to ask BT to look into the discrepancy?

Note, that following a failed attempt at using the BT speed checker yesterday (Your speedtest results: Error in retrieving dynamic template) I appear to have inadvertantly opened a slow speed fault call due to be fixed tomorrow.

These the results from the DSL test thing...

DSL Check.GIF

Router stats are here...

Stats 20-6-01.GIF

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
35 REPLIES 35
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 36

Re: Mismatch between "Minimum speed guarantee" and actual

Are you connected to the master socket or an extension?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 36

Master socket (behind faceplate) though a filter. BT cordless phone also plugged into phone side of filter. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 36

Youn need an engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 36

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks

Would the best course of action be to give the open fault a chance to clear (BT fault tracker says resolution tomorrow) and go through the online speed test proceedure again to instigate a visit, assuming it doesn't fail again, or is there a better, more direct way?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 36

It won't be fixed without physical intervention, that I can guarantee.

Call 08001114567 and advise you're connected to the test socket and your speeds are well below the expected range, and that you want an engineer visit.
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 36

An update on this.

I had an engineer visit yesterday. He was surprised my issue was speed as his job card said my Infinity was dead on arrival. He did voice his doubts that he would make any improvement but he spent considerable time doing various tests and replaced the old master socket with new, built in filter type he also checked the "sausage" connector used to repair a break in the line into the house. Unfortunately, his initial pessimism was well founded as the speed hasnt improved at all. Whatever the probem is, it doesn't seem to be anything inside my house.

Given that the cabinet is five houses up from me and the exchange itself is just around the corner, is there anything else that I could reasonably expect to be done?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 36

So he done nothing outside the house?

It annoys me when they don't so simple checks such as, check the speed at the cab, then if all is well, check at the DP (distribution point). If the speed drops dramatically at the DP, the issue is between there and the cab, if it's find at the DP, it's between there and the house.

You need another engineer visit, and hope you get one who has a clue.
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 36

I thought he same thing. Unfortunately, he said that he covered my particular (rural) area, so the chances are that I would get the same bloke.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 36

Then you need to ensure he checks the various points in the network to identify where the speed is being lost.
0 Ratings