cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 36

Re: Mismatch between "Minimum speed guarantee" and actual

When you say the cabinet is 5 houses up are these houses within spitting distance of each other or are we talking rural 5 houses up that are 200 to 300m apart?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 36

The OP is getting half the expected speeds.

Quite why the engineer doesn't seem to have traced back to find the point where the connection drops drastically is the real issue here.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 13 of 36

I think you'll find the distance from the house to the DSLAM is important.

You can't measure distance in 'houses'. The only time I'd being willing to accept such a measurement is if someone was referring to 'Blocks' like they have in New York City.

The OP mentioned it was rural, I myself work in some rural parts and it's quite common for houses to be spread out by some distance so there's no point saying, 'well my next door neighbour gets X speed' when in reality said next door neighbour is actually 750m away.

Also even if DSLAM is close to the house it doesn't necessarily mean he will get superfast speeds. I've come across many lines that are relatively close to the cab but can not support fast speeds because of the cable type and conditions on it.

I've personally seen people on lines less than two hundred metres get as little as 40mbps because the cable they're on.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 36

Agreed.

It could well be that the DP is 600m away, or poor aluminium cabling.

However, I would expected the engineer to have explained this to the customer, rather than turning up saying, I won't be able to improve it much. By doing so he'd have negated the need for another visit.

Don't you agree?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 36

I live in a village. I mentioned rural as, apparently, that makes a difference.

The cabinet is exactly 100 paces (100m?) from my front door and roughly 400 m from the exchange. Line from the cabinet to me is overhead, if that makes a difference.

For Telephone Bob's benefit it is only three and a half houses away. I over estimated.

0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 36

I did wonder if the line was aluminium as my parents had a problem with that. The engineer did mention that he'd checked the lin outside and is black not grey so not a problem. I assumed he meant the line from the pole to the house.

0 Ratings
Message 17 of 36

Just so you know the Minimum Guaranteed Speed is given by your ISP. Not Openreach, they do not provide your ISP with any Minimum Guaranteed Speed at all.

Openreach will provide a, 'Best Effort Service' as in they will provide you the fastest speed your line can support.

As the bottom end of your Impacted Line is 18mbps but the Max Rate you're getting is 39mbps then the Engineer sent would've been sent on a SFVA, Superfast Visit Assure. That is basically the VDSL equivalent of a CDTA for a Voice Fault.

I can virtually guarantee his job notes would say the speed to be provided should be 18.2/8.5 and not what BT 'Guaranteed' you.

As your Max Rate far exceeded the 18.2/8.5 at the NTE the Engineer was under no obligation to intervene in the Network because you are getting over double what they said they would provide as their Best Effort.

If you or BT want an Engineer to carry out additional Network checks, upgrades, etc then they would have to order a Fibre Broadband Boost Service Based Solution Task.

This is where an Engineer will have the authority to do things like swap your line out into a different cable, repair/replace your own Internal Wiring or provide a data extension socket. A Broadband Boost is not a fault though and a visit is by no means guaranteed they'll be able to boost your speed.

As you were previously on an Exchange Only Line I doubt there's much an Engineer can do in ref to swapping you out into better cables but I'm only going on experience from what I've seen where I live/work. Although without actually accessing the Network where you are I'm only second guessing.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 36

Your contract is with BT and not Openreach so it is irrelevant what Openreach say or do as regards who you hold accountable and BT can not shift blame onto Openreach.

It matters not a jot to you that BT have to "sub-contract" to Openreach to provide the infrastructure etc. As said, your contract is with BT.

If BT gave you a minimum guaranteed speed then that is what they have to deliver and if they can not deliver that they are in breach of their contract and guarantee and must either have the problem fixed or allow you leave your contract without any penalty.

See link re guaranteed connection speeds.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/35296/~/your-line-speed-explained

0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 36

Ta.

When I told the engineer what the minimum guaranteed speed was, he just said "Well you won't get that around here".

The daft thing is that if I'd been quoted a realistically attainable speed in the first place, rather than something that appears impossible, I would probably have been happy.

0 Ratings
Message 20 of 36

This is the problem and I can't figure why OFCOM allow it or if their the ones who make ISP's give this 'Guaranteed' Speed?

On one hand you've got Openreach saying we will provide a Best Effort Service somewhere between say 10 and 50mbps.

Then BT or whatever other ISP then sell it on giving a 'Guaranteed' Speed they can't guarantee. It's ridiculous!
0 Ratings