cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 36

Re: Mismatch between "Minimum speed guarantee" and actual

Openreach have nothing to do with you. Openreach may have told the ISP that they will provide a "Best Effort Service" what ever that is, but it is irrelevant to you because you don't have a contract with Openreach, your contract is with BT. Do not lose sight of that and do not be fobbed off with "it's Openreach's fault" or any other excuse offered about Openreach.

It may well be down to Openreach to "fix" any problem but as I have said, that is between BT and Openreach and has nothing to do with you.  

It is up to the ISP to honour what ever guarantee they have offered. If they can not honour it they have to explain why etc.

Get back onto BT and complain and tell them you want the problem resolved as per their guarantee.

As a consumer you have consumer rights that BT can not ignore.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 36

They have consumer rights, but they do not supercede the laws of physics.

If the speed can't be provided, you'll be free to leave your contract. Nothing more nothing less.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 36

@Webby wrote:
They have consumer rights, but they do not supercede the laws of physics.

If the speed can't be provided, you'll be free to leave your contract. Nothing more nothing less.

Nobody is disputing the laws of physics and it has already been stated what recourse the OP will have.  What is in dispute is how people try to excuse problems by saying it is not BT's problem because it is down to Openreach.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 36

Agreed.

I've always thought the "guaranteed" malarky was setting themselves up for problems.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 36

Thanks for the responses all.

I must admit that I'm inclined to push a bit more for an improvement, given the guarantee. Regardless of the laws of physics, I can see the damned cabinet if I lean out of my front door so it can't be that unreasonable. What would I have got if I had signed up for Infinity 2.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 26 of 36

Exactly the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 36

You need an engineer to tell you how long your line is, and at what point in the network the speed drops.

0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 36

Further to this issue. I did another speedtest from the MyBT web pages and, again, it flagged up that the broadband speed could be improved. Following the suggestion to contact BT and subsequent webchat, I have another engineer visit booked for this afternoon.

However, while waiting, I have just used the BT Wholesale speed checker which as given a download speed of 34.64 and a maximum achievable for this line of 35.76. Furthermore it says that if my line is within the range 27.5 -35.76, then the line is working properly.

From this, it would appear that my quest for the guaranteed minimum of 49 Mbps (or something near) is rather pointless.

However, the results from the ADSL checker currently give...adsl2.GIF

Slightly lower than last time I checked, but still higher than BT Wholesale's line max of 35.76.

Can anyone explain to me why there would be such an apparent difference between the BT ADSL checker and the BT Wholesale tool? Is it just my misinterpretation of the results?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 36

The DSL checker is based upon some "standard values", by that I mean that your line is made of copper, and 0.4mm guage. Anything different to that, will see the real world results differ.

Also, the speeds quoted on that checker are speeds to the Distribution Point (DP) which is usually in a manhole cover, or on a pole. Most people are within around 20m of the DP, so the estimates are pretty accurate, however some DP's in rural areas can be 100's of meters away, which of course, will mean the speed you see at the master socket would be lower than that seen at the DP.

The BT Wholesale speedtester check results are based upon your current connection rate (and subsequent IP profile). So it's saying that given your current connection rate, the throughput achieved is as woud be expected of a line connecting at that rate.

The two systems aren't linked.
0 Ratings
Sundial
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 36

Ah, thanks.

So, the BT Wholesale checker is giving the maximum currently achieveable including any faults that may lie between my router and the cabinet while the DSL checker is giving the maximum achievable assuming no faults at all.

0 Ratings