cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

More and more connection drops

Hi, I've been with BT for a while but I'm new here, so please be gentle 🙂

My BT Fibre (FTTC) connection has been super-stable for a long time, but over the last few weeks I'm getting a lot of disconnects - at least once, every single evening without fail, sometimes more than that.

My worry is that each time it disconnects, it seems to be taking longer and longer to reset and reconnect. I've never really had a decent connection speed-wise (around 35Mbps-ish) but I'm not too bothered about that - obviously faster would be nice but I'm quite far from the cabinet, so I know there's no chance of that any time soon.

Is there a chance my home-hub might be on the way out? It's been rock-solid for ages, now it craps out every single night without fail, and as I say, it's taking longer each time to reconnect. I've tried the official help pages but they just send you round in circles. I'm reluctant to call as I know Customer Services are suffering due to the current Coronavirus situation, and I don't want to take resources from someone who might have a worse problem than me.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: More and more connection drops

@petethesparky 

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

Thanks for the advice Keith.

I've just tried that, and it's completely silent - no hissing or crackling at all. I'll try it again this evening when the router disconnects. It takes a good few minutes to reconnect, so it'll give me plenty of time to check it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

can you post hub stats  if hh5 then troubleshooting then helpdesk   if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

can you enter your phone number and post results  https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

do the drops in connection happen about the same time every night?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

Hi imjolly, thanks for the reply.

It's a HH5. Unfortunately, when I click on Troubleshooting > Helpdesk I get a message saying "BT Desktop Help is no longer available" and it redirects me to the website that I've already been trying. Tests from there always come back as OK, but of course I have to be online to do the tests in the first place, so they're not really able to find out the problem. I don't know how to get to the hub stats manually. The drops aren't at the exact same time every night, but I haven't noticed any during the daytime, it always seems to be in the evening - obviously when the kids are in a "critical situation" in a game or something 🙄

Here's a grab of the Broadband checker results, sorry for the low quality, I had to increase the compression because the file size was too large.

BT_stats.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 7

If the DSLAM has Vectoring then it’s normal for it and to take a couple of minutes to Sync back up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

I might be imagining it taking longer and longer to reconnect each time I suppose.

But why has it started dropping so often? It's every day, sometimes multiple times, without fail.

Prior to a few weeks back, I might have noticed it dropping maybe once every month?

I'm just wondering if I should think about getting a new router, but obviously that would be a waste of time if something else is wrong. 🤔

0 Ratings