cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 6

Move master socket - have 2 master sockets?

Go to solution

Hi, I need to move the BT Hub into another room (the master socket is in our lounge) and I have had a thought - instead of connecting to the master socket in our lounge by setting up new connections, why not move the master socket instead? My question is, can the original master socket be left where it is (as there are phone extensons operating from this) - can a property have 2 master sockets? Only one would be used for Infinity Broaband at any time. Many thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Move master socket - have 2 master sockets?

Go to solution

It would be best to just extend the broadband signal either by running an RJ11 data extension cable, or leaving the hub where it is, and using broadband extenders which use the mains wiring.

Look for

15M ADSL RJ11 Broadband Modem Extension Cable - Male to Male with coupler

This will also work on BT Infinity.

If you are using a microfilter at the master socket, then that must remain there.

Option 2.

Broadband extenders

http://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/broadband-extenders

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks Keith, but moving the master socket will be a lot easier than pulling the floor up to connect a RJ11 cable! We could convert the 'old' master socket to a 'phone only' socket and run a phone cable from the box on the front outside wall around to the back of the property, externally. This would cost me £200 with Openreach and cause me a lot less of a problem. Maybe having 2 master sockets is a bit too much!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

The box on the front ouside wall is the property of Openreach so you cannot interfere with that, as its before the master socket.

You can ask for the master socket to be relocated at a cost, but they would disconnect the original socket, as you can only have one connection to a socket, from the outside box.

Is there already an extension socket in the lounge?

What is wrong with using broadband extenders?

0 Ratings
Havnalaff
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Many thanks, Keith, you have answered my question straight away again. I'll have to think about those Broadband Extenders, as it looks like we'll have to leave the master socket where it is. I thought that 2 sockets could be run off one line, I was wrong and I accept that. I'll have to plan again! Many thanks again & best regards.  Man LOL

Spoiler

0 Ratings
TillyCat
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

I dont know which area you live in, have you tried an ex BT guy? Straight forward job to move any telecoms wiring.

***EDITED***

Have a look at Bob Turners site, I found him to complete a couple of tasks for me.

0 Ratings