Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
DariusA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Moved house, Home Hub refusing to connect to internet

Go to solution
I have been trying to find a solution to this for over a week now and thus far it had been a nightmare so hopefully someone here can help.

We have just moved and I set up the broadband transfer in advance. It was due to be activated on the 16th and I was told I could continue to use my Home Hub 3. I got the email on the 16th confirming the activation and connected my old equipment to the BT OpenReach line that was already here. The OpenReach modem worked fine, with all lights green, but the hub refused to connect, with a solid red broadband light instead of blue. This was clearly listed as a username and password error in the troubleshooting guide, so I made sure everything was correct and went through the usual resetting, powering off, checking wires, making sure there were no problems in the area etc. The light stayed red.

I called BT and their solution was to send me a new hub 5. They didn't explain why this would work but I assumed the authentication settings were somehow different. This finally arrived this morning and I connected it - same problem. Again the manual says this is a username/password error and says I shouldn't be using it for other providers. As this is brand new, so the settings have never been changed, and I am not trying to use a third party provider, this is not helpful.

Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? I assume from the fact that the DL light stays green there is no hardware issue on the line. There is a second phone socket but this does not appear to be connected at all - might this be related? I have done everything I can find suggested and the light just stays solid red, so an authentication problem seems likely but I don't understand why. Thanks for any help you can give.
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moved house, Home Hub refusing to connect to internet

Go to solution
Connect the Openreach modem LAN1 to the HH5 red WAN port with an ethernet cable
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
DariusA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution
Unfortunately I have tried that too - still red!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
Does it give an error message in the HH5 event log?

Is the modem unlocked?
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
DariusA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Yes - I get CHAP authentication failed over and over again. The modem isn't unlocked as far as I know - have only been with BT since I got it so never had to do anything with it.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
I think you need to arrange an engineer.
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
DariusA
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for your help - I reported the fault and an engineer came out today and fixed it pretty quickly. It sounds like we were originally connected to someone else's line by mistake and so the line was apparently being shared.

0 Ratings