Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
bunyarra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Moved to new cabinet but old IP profile not changed

Looking for advice on getting the IP profile reset. We were on a cabinet 3 km away and only ever managed 10-12Mbs or so. My current connection speed is 13Mbs.

Over the last week or so, we have been switched to a new cabinet only 1km away but the IP profile, connection rate etc. remains the same. 

Line attenuation is 26 and noise margin of 9

I guess we will soon be able to order the full 70Mbs Infinity package but, until then, how would I go about getting a reset?

Thanks

Mike

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moved to new cabinet but old IP profile not changed

Your IP profile is set by your speed, not the other way around.

As can be seen by the speed/distance graph, even if you are now only 1km from the cabinet it would still not worth getting the "full 70Mbs Infinity package" as your line would not be able to deliver any where near that sort of speed. It would not even be  able to deliver the maximum speed for the Infinity 1 package.

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

To see what you should be able to get can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results. Make sure you delete your phone number before posting.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then scroll down the page and carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you have a Homehub 5 can you post the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the Homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/

or

If you have the Smart Hub, (Homehub 6) can you go to hub manager then advanced then technical log and post the stats. http://bthomehub.home/

bunyarra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Hi,

Thanks for that reply, appreciated.

I've just gone looknig for the new cabinet and it is actually less than 50 meters from my front door - so much for the online estimator 🙂

My assumption (based on this forum) was that the IP Profile was fixed by my connection speed on the old cabinet. The move to a newer cabinet has kept exactly the same connection speed. We had some router issues with a defunct homehub 8 months ago that caused the line to be downgraded a few times over a 2 month period. Got a new router but it never went back to it's old speed.

The ADSL checker shows I should only be getting a 3Mbs connection so I guess it has not been updated.

I am probably jumping the gun here given how new the cabinet it. Maybe waiting a few weeks to let it settle will help. 

Thanks 

Mike

bt.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 13

Post your line stats. I suspect while the cable may have been routed to the new cabinet, it hasn't yet been terminated in the new cab and connected up to the fibre DSLAM at the closer cabinet yet.

This all usually happens on one day for all customers as Openreach need to agree the date with all ISP's involved.

As above, at 1km expect about 25-30meg.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
bunyarra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Hiya,

Yes, it might be a delay in setting up. Base line stats have never been this good 🙂

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

It usually takes a few months from when the cabinet is commisioned to when the "live to live" migration takes place.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 13

@bunyarra wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for that reply, appreciated.

I've just gone looknig for the new cabinet and it is actually less than 50 meters from my front door - so much for the online estimator 🙂

My assumption (based on this forum) was that the IP Profile was fixed by my connection speed on the old cabinet. The move to a newer cabinet has kept exactly the same connection speed. We had some router issues with a defunct homehub 8 months ago that caused the line to be downgraded a few times over a 2 month period. Got a new router but it never went back to it's old speed.

The ADSL checker shows I should only be getting a 3Mbs connection so I guess it has not been updated.

I am probably jumping the gun here given how new the cabinet it. Maybe waiting a few weeks to let it settle will help. 

Thanks 

Mike

bt.JPG

The new cabinet should have a number on it which will match your connection once your line has been transferred. The checker shows the cabinet number.

0 Ratings
bunyarra
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Hi Pippin,

It does already, hence my confusion 🙂 Used to be cabinet 2 and is now cabinet 10. If I walk outside my drive it's there in lovely fresh green and white. 

I'm sure it will all resolve itself in the next week. BT site shows I can buy the 70Mbs option but gives me an error when I try to. Wonders of online ordering 🙂

Mike

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 13

Then look forward to Friday, IIRC that's when the Openreach database gets updated.Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Database seems to have already updated as the OP's check on shows the new cabinet number.

The issue is it sounds like an infil cab and therefore will require a live to live migration. A new order won't need to be placed, the lines will be switched over when Openreach have the agreement of all ISP's involved.