cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
puratech
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Moving FTTP Openreach Modem

I've been wondering what the options would be for moving the Openreach box a short distance. Its not currently an issue but im interested incase i want to move furniture around in the future and keep it out of sight.  Is this likely to be something only an engineer is allowed to do - running a new cable, or a more simple case of buying an extension cable.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
NGAMOD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moving FTTP Openreach Modem

Is it definitely an FTTP modem and not FTTC?? if its stilll on the master socket or a data extension then it will be fine.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

The connection to a FTTP modem is by a fibre connection from the external box so a "cable" will not work. If the internal fibre connection needs extending I am not sure where you would be able to source something like that as this is pretty new technology and certainly not something B and Q stock! 

gurka
Contributor
Message 4 of 13

If it really is a FTTP line then you would need to get Openreach to do it, it's not something you can do yourself.

puratech
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

Its definitely a FTTP connection (100mbit). The fibre comes through the exterior wall a few inches away from the interior Openreach box so theres no scope for movement, without replacing/rerouting/extending the fibre cable. Id heard of optic fibre extension cables for audio, so thought no harm in asking. The installation is very very tidy for what its worth 🙂

Thanks for replies, im guessing if i ever want to move it, itll be a standard £120 or something?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 13

I would imagine so yeah, the same as an internal socket shift.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 13

There would be too much optical loss with a diy extention. Unfortunately you will need to get BT to do it, and I suspect it will require a new extension lead to be fusion spliced back to the demarcation point. The skills required to do this are way beyond the pay grade of a normal Openreach engineer, so I would expect that this would cost significantly more than the equivelate FTTC extension

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
cameron1590
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

I use to do a little fibre splicing, and I can confirm this is not for amatuers to play around with! It is extremely dangerous stuff !! The glass core it's self is about the same thickness as a single human hair, so it's tiny ! It's hard to see as its clear, I was told on my training that if you manage to get it in your skin you'll be lucky to get it out as it dosent show up on X-rays, please please do not be tight just pay the money and have it done professionally,
0 Ratings
NGAMOD
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 13

For FTTP, then definitely not something you should try your diy skills on friend. Openreach is your best option, at least then its done right and guaranteed.

0 Ratings
puratech
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

Thanks all, got a clear picture now 🙂  I just didnt want to assume it was difficult to move and then eventually find out theres a very simple solution having not asked.

As a side note, IIRC the BT Infinity "what to expect" page i got to via the welcome emails just showed a typical FTTC install with VDSL, so id mistakenly presumed that FTTP install was still routed through the master socket after being fibred to the box outside the house, so I ended up not having thought where i wanted the fibre routed until after the BT engineer arrived and told me it could be put virtually anywhere in the house. As mentioned though itll be fine where it is for me so no worry of trying any dodgy home "fusion splicing", but I imagine when FTTP/on-demand becomes more widespread itll be quite a common annoyance 🙂

0 Ratings