cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Moving FTTP

Hi all,

I have moved into a new build property and the router and huwawi box has been shuved under the stairs. This is very inconvenient for me as i have an office i have to run an ethernet over my kitchen, hall and into my office to get internet via ethernet

Has anyone had BT in yet to move there fibre to a different room? 

The cable comes in to my property from the front left, the office is on the front right so not a major distance to move it from and to, its just the skill of fibre i need.

If so how much does this cost, i rang BT and they said it would be £130 / visit. So if they come to move it on visit one and are unable to i still have to pay £130 i imagine. Which is why im wanting to ensure its possible before i get them out.

Cheers all

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moving FTTP

You would need to contact openreach, and get a price for extending and relocating your fibre and ont

https://www.openreach.com/network-services/altering-our-network/

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Be much cheaper to run an external Ethernet cable yourself.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

That link is for the alteration of External only Plant only such as Telephone Poles or Joint Boxes.

Moving Internal Cabling/Equipment such as NTE’s and or ONT’s needs to be done via an order with the Service Provider.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Not possible to move myself, otherwise thats the option i would have taken. 

Unfortunately in my new build the router is under the stairs, there is no access from under the stairs to under the floorboard above so thats not an option

Then to go down, my floors are concrete and as it is in the middle of the house... there is no way outside without going through the floor. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

If and when Openreach come out to do an ONT Shift they’ll most likely put a CSP on the outside where the Capping is and run a Fibre EZ Bend Cable externally for where you want the ONT moving to.

It’ll all be surface mounted, the option of having it under floors or behind wall cavity’s is now long gone.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

@Davemarsden132wrote:

Unfortunately in my new build the router is under the stairs, there is no access from under the stairs to under the floorboard above so thats not an option

Then to go down, my floors are concrete and as it is in the middle of the house... there is no way outside without going through the floor. 

@Davemarsden132  are there no wall/surface mounted plugs in the cupboard or the house?  I don't mean electrical.

Have a look at Page 2 of this from Openreach - https://www.openreach.com/content/dam/openreach/openreach-dam-files/images/fibre-broadband/fibre-for...

The section with the light green dotted lines... 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

2018-09-25 17_13_30-Fibre network guide - fibre_developer_handbook.pdf.png

How a good developer does it.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

The developer was  supposed to put RJ45 sockets in every room. But instead they put Phone Line's in every room in a loop system -_-..... basically i can have a telephone in every single room! PHONES EVERYWHERE 

But the internet, yeah cant do that.... haha

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

You could try connecting the ONT to a powerline adaptor and connecting the hub to one in your office. Not ideal but will get you up and running until you can arrange for the ONT to be shifted.

0 Ratings