Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
silversurfer1950
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Moving Master Socket

Go to solution
An engineer is coming on Tuesday to install Infinity 1. The arrangement I have with BT is that if I am not happy with what the Engineer proposes the order will be cancelled and I will renegotiate my expired BT broadband contract.

The master socket is currently in the hall and there is no way that this can be used for Infinity as I have Sonos, NAS, computer and BT Homeplug for BT Vision plugged into my Homehub 4. I would like the master socket changed to the study where all the equipment is and this is on an extension. If this were possible world this mean that all intermediate extensions, including the current master socket, would then be unusable? The only extension that I would be prepared to loose would be the kitchen. I am not sure exactly how the 'run' goes in the house other than it was installed when the house was built in 1982 and comprises: master socket in hall, extension in kitchen, extension in master bedroom, extension in lounge from master socket installed along skirting and extension in study from master bedroom along skirting and through wall. Both the lounge and study are additional extensions installed after the house was built.

I am not prepared to accept a data cable being run from the master socket to the study and in any event I am not sure it would be possible due to the geography of the stairs and upstairs doors etc.

Your comments would be appreciated.
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moving Master Socket

Go to solution
Would you accept a wire from the phone line outside directly into the study?
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
silversurfer1950
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
Yes, although I am not keen on wires on the front of the house. The study is above the front door and the junction box is beside the front door. There is a pitched roof to the porch but access to the wall to the study should be possible. I take it that the existing master socket would then become an ordinary extension socket. The next question is would the engineer be prepared to do this? I will make sure the coffee is brewed and the biscuit barrel is full!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
This is how mine is wired - the black external cable runs up the corner formed by the porch, through the outside wall into the study above the front door. All other sockets are extensions from the Infinity master socket.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
silversurfer1950
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Thanks for your replies ray_dorset. I feel much happier that I can get what I want!
0 Ratings
silversurfer1950
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 10

Re: Moving Master Socket - updated

Go to solution
Well the install went ahead within the allotted time. The van drew up and I saw BT Openreach flash passed the window. When I opened the front door the name 'Quinn' was in larger lettering on the side of the van. My heart sank into my boots as I was hoping for an Openreach engineer. I explained that the install was subject to agreeing the route of the wiring and this was discussed. Due to the shape of the stairs and large number of doors on the landing and the fact that the stairs and associated wood are mahogany the engineer said that the wiring would stick out like a sore thumb and he wouldn't want that in his house. A solution was discussed and he thoroughly tested the wiring and we agreed that the install could go ahead. At all times he listened to what I said and offered such solutions as were available. He was pleasant and engaged in conversation although refused the offered coffee/tea as he had only just been given one in the earlier appointment.

So we are up and running at about 37 down and 9.5 up, dropping in the evening to about 31 down and 8 up. Only time will tell if this persists and there have been several disconnections and re connections which I am led to believe is to be expected during the first ten days.

THANK YOU to all who engage in the forums as I was able to gain a lot of knowledge and confidence to deal with the install.
0 Ratings
BigStu09
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Did they charge you for moving master socket.

0 Ratings
silversurfer1950
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
No they didn't charge as it was regarded as part of the Infinity install.
0 Ratings
BigStu09
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks, nice to know that they didn't charge you. They told me that it was a £130 to move master socket and that it was not part of install for Infinity 1.

0 Ratings
BasilC
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

What was the eventual solution?  A connection through the wall of the house directly into the upstairs study?  And how intrusive is the cabling inside the house?  Did the existing phone sockets have to be rewired and connected to this new master socket?  (Sorry to ask so many questions, but your information sounds very encouraging.)

0 Ratings