Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
simmo11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Moving To Cabinet Closer To Property

Hi,

At the moment I get my broadband via copper from a cabinet about 3/4 of a mile away, the feed form the exchange to this cabinet is fibre & my speed is 15 mb. A new cabinet has been installed on my estate less than 200 yards away, which has fibre to it. I have since signed up to infinity 2 which has guaranteed me a minimum speed of 50 mb, but I am still only getting 15 mb.

I have had 3 engineers out who have confirmed that I will only get 15 mb as I am connected to the cabinet 3/4 mile away. They have also confirmed that the copper cabling to my house passes though the cabinet 200 yards away & that I will only get an increased speed if I am changed over to the cabinet 200 yards away, so that I am only using copper for the last 200 yards. The cabinet is live & people on my estate are using it as confirmed by the engineer.

I have a case opened on this & it has been raised to a 'camp 3' & I am dealing with a single person, but I still can't seem to get it sorted, BT do not seem to be able to talk to Openreach.

Can anyone please tell me how I can get this done please?

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Moving To Cabinet Closer To Property

See https://www.homeandwork.openreach.co.uk/help-and-support/when-can-i-get-fibre.aspx

There is another cabinet nearby that is already accepting orders, can I get fibre broadband from there instead?

No, the network over which fibre broadband is provided is bespoke, and all premises are served from dedicated fixed distribution points. Many lines are connected via their own overhead or underground link to a nearby green telephony cabinet. There are no interconnections that could be used to move a line from one cabinet to another.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Can you pop up your postcode please?

It's possible this is an infill cabinet, which is used by the BDUK intervention schemes to increase broadband speeds to those that are sub 24meg.

If that's the case, then the change over to be supplied from the new cab will happen automatically, but it can take time, as Openreach have to agree a date for the "live to live migration" with ALL ISP's who have customers on the cabs involved.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
simmo11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 13

Hi Webby, thanks for your reply my Postcode is DE139AN.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

When you said the 3 Engineers confirmed your line passes 'though the cabinet 200 yards away' I assume you mean it pass 'through' it as in your line connects to an E-Side in there and is then jumpered to a D-Side.

If that is the case you'd have make sure your lines Routing Records show your line is connected to that cab. When it is you'd then have to cancel your existing Infinity and then place a new order so they install it against the newer closer cab.
0 Ratings
simmo11
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Hi Bob, I'm not sure about that, do you know how I could find out?

cheers

Paul

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

quite simply you cannot that is Openreach information and they are not customer facing
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 13

ISP's can request a pair prove, although this may be chargeable.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

A Pair Prove is an Activity that is sometimes done on an Installtion Order, usually when they Activate a Stopped Line and send an Engineer out to Prove the line still goes to said premises and that the Stopped Line hasn't been diverted somewhere else.

If the OP already has an Active Line the CP can't request a Pair Prove, they can't even request one on an Order. It's Openreach who decide if it needs one or not.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

CP's can request a pair prove. I've worked for one in the past and requested them through the DSO.