cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Moving from Copper ADSL to BT FTTP - Will I loose the copper connection?

Go to solution

I've currently a copper phone line with ADSL.

I've signed up for Fibre To The Premises from BT, second part of the installation process is due a week on Friday.

My order tracker shows the following for the install:

fva-ontinstall

FVA = Fibre Voice Access, does this mean I will lose my old copper connection?

I have an intruder alarm that needs to connect to a standard phone line, is it possible to ensure I keep my existing copper line for the phone service and the new fibre connection for the internet?

If possible who's best to contact prior to installation & if not possible how do I cancel the order?

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
ChrisFWood
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving from Copper ADSL to BT FTTP - Will I loose the copper connection?

Go to solution

Interesting question.

Not sure if this answers it, https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/products/super-fastfibreaccess/fibrevoiceaccess/fibrevoiceacce...

or do you have redcare

Other option is if your alarm system supports an ethernet module like this "Galaxy Ethernet Module - Honeywell Security"

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

If you are paying for a separate phone line for the alarm, this should not have anything to do with your getting FTTP and a fibre phone.

If you contact the FTTP order department they should be able to confirm this for you.

0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi Chris

Not Redcare, the alarm panel is wired in to the back of the BT socket where the incomming copper pair is connected.

The replacement front plate that Openreach install with a switch to change to the fibre voice connection won't connect to my existing alarm connection - if the alarm company have to come out to re-connect it will be more hassle and cost.

I'm currently with PlusNet, I think it's going to be easier to cancel the BT installation and move on to the PlusNet FTTP trial as they retain the copper pair for voice.

0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

gg30340 - I don't have (or want) a separate line for my alarm.

What's the best way to contact the FTTP order department?

Thanks for your help.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

FTTP sales 08005874787

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
airgun
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Hi, just spoken to a helpful lady on the 0800 number.

I'm going to continue with my existing order and sort the alarm out after installation.

For future reference for new FTTP customers it is possible to keep the copper connection for your phone line and use the fibre for data only, to order this you need to call the 0800 number.

I'm keen to keep with my original order as at the time of ordering TopCashBack had £180 cashback for my order, if I order manually over the phone I would loose this.

0 Ratings