cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6

Moving from Plusnet, ensuring I retain my number and have minimal downtime

I currently have Plusnet FTTC, I have recently purchased BT FTTP (900mbps), over the phone the Sales team mentioned that there should be no disruption to my existing Plusnet internet connection as its on a different technology (analogue telephone as opposed to fibre). This means technically there will be a period of overlap before my contract ends for Plusnet where I have two connections which I was hoping for as this would reduce any downtime I may have which is vital to me as a remote worker. BT also stated I can transfer my number over and that they would handle this automatically.

However shortly after placing the order Plusnet have emailed me saying that a new provider is giving me broadband on the 21st August (the date of my BT install), and that they will be disconnecting my service on that date. My first concern is that this means there could be a period of time I have no internet, in the event the BT install was unsuccessful it means I'm without internet until BT can fix it, with my install date being more than 4 weeks away it doesn't fill me with confidence if an error occurs they will be able to resolve it quickly.

My second concern is that this morning (3 days after ordering), I have received an email from BT stating that to transfer my number over I need to do this once my service has gone live by calling them. How will this work if my existing provider will be disconnecting my line on the install date? Isn't there a possibility I may lose my number?

Tags (3)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving from Plusnet, ensuring I retain my number and have minimal downtime

was your number originally issued by BT or was it some other ISP prior to plusnet?

BT will be taking over your phone line hence why Plusnet have been advised of termination

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 6

The phone number was originally from BT yes (but this was probably 6+ years ago), Plusnet migrated the number over.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 6

as long as number was issued by BT and you are still at same address then should be able to keep number.  from what you have posted even though you are getting FTTP you landline will still be old copper and using same master socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 6

So they explained that my telephone service will be VoIP based, I'll need to connect my telephone to the fibre modem they provide (or the ONT I believe its called).

If Plusnet disconnect my line on the same day (presumably earlier that day, as my install is in the afternoon) how can they ensure the number isn't lost or assigned to someone else? is this something I need to clarify with them?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 6

Give the FTTP team a ring. They will be able to clarify. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings