Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Big__Rossatron
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Moving home hub wiring question

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

First post, apologies if this has already been answered, i couldn't find it with a search.

I'm moving my HH5 upstairs to a gaming room, what i want to do is run a length of CAT6 cable inside the cavity of the wall, put an RJ11 on one end and wire the other end into the master socket like it was a phone extention so downstairs looks tidy.

Firstly, will it work like this? Secondly, how do I wire in the extention and RJ11? I don't seem to be able to find any info on this anywhere, unless I'm searching for the wrong thing?"

Ross

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Moving home hub wiring question

Go to solution

which style of master socker do you have SSFP or standard NTE5?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Big__Rossatron
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Go to solution

NTE5 i think, the one where half of the faceplate comes off and the back is like a another phone socket? i'm not currently at home or i'd post a pic

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

Go to solution

If it is an NTE5 and you have no extensions wired, connect  pins 2&5 on the removable faceplate to pins 1&2 in the RJ11. Polarity doesn't matter. If an SSFP with separate sockets for phone and broadband, connect to the data extension terminals.

Big__Rossatron
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Go to solution

that's great, thanks.

when you say "polarity doesn't matter" does that mean pin 2 in the faceplate can connect to either 1 or 2 in the RJ11? I assume it doesn't matter which wire i use, so for example as long as i connect the blue and white stripey one both ends i should be fine?

apologies for the dumb questions

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

Go to solution

Correct

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 14

Go to solution

@Big__Rossatron Sorry, wrong info on the pins on the RJ11, it should be 3&4 not 1&2

Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 14

Go to solution
Cat6 is overkill too for this application. Cat5 will suffice unless you want it in place for Ethernet use in the future.
0 Ratings
Big__Rossatron
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Go to solution

@Deathtrap3000 I already have the CAT6 now

@licquorice okay, 3 and 4. I'm planning on getting this done in the morning so i'll let you know how it goes. thanks for the help.

0 Ratings
Big__Rossatron
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Go to solution

okay, i'm having issues with this, the cable i have run to the office/games room seems fine, if i connect a phone i get a dial tone but it won't connect my hub (I get solid orange power light and flashing red broadband light)

also i may have misinformed you about my master socket, it is split in half and the top half has an RJ11 socket where my router connects, the bottom half has the regular phone one. I suspect i should be wiring the extention to the top part, is this the case?

PS - I see what you mean about the cat6, i didn't realise it was just i wires :S

0 Ratings