cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Message 11 of 45

Re: Moving house and Fibre Broadband - slot coming available

The cabinet supplies Infinity via a VDSL connection and there is clearly a waiting list so is peresently full.

FTTPoD is a totally different product and is provided for business lines not residential.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 12 of 45

Well, there's your proof there is a waiting list.

That's only FTTPoD (On Demand) intended for businesses & costing a fortune to install. Not for you.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 13 of 45

I agree with @licquorice, there is a waiting list. At this time of the year, that could be very long, as many providers had Black Friday deals, so there is probably a backlog of orders.

You can get ADSL2+ up to 11Mb, so that is more than adequate for most usage. I get about 10Mbs where I live, and have no issues at all.

Some people are stuck on 2Mb or less, if they are a long distance from the exchange.

I would accept ADSL2+ for now, and keep a watch on the availability in the New Year.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 45

@XRaySpeX wrote:

Well, there's your proof there is a waiting list.

That's only FTTPoD (On Demand) intended for businesses & costing a fortune to install. Not for you.

The rest is accurate, but it is up to the OP if he decides he wants it.

0 Ratings
Jemmingham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 45

Ok thanks for everyone's replies. Looks like we are scuppered in that case.

Can anyone recommend an alternative way to get a fast connection in place? Are there any?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 45

@Jemmingham wrote:
Ok thanks for everyone's replies. Looks like we are scuppered in that case.

Can anyone recommend an alternative way to get a fast connection in place? Are there any?

How fast do you mean, 11Mbs is not exactly slow, and is likely to be better than mobile broadaband, which is the only other option?

Why do you need a connection faster that 11Mbs?

You can do most things, including streaming TV and other video.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 45

You could always investigate having 2 lines as a bonded connection which would double your speed. You might need to look at another provider for that though. You might be surprised to find that 11M will meet your needs anyway.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 18 of 45

I saw someone in my area posting that they got a good deal from virgin mobile with sim and router getting fast 4g

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Jemmingham
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 45

Well we tale advantage of 4k content both BTUHD and also over Netflix and Amazon for example - that's not a huge deal but it means I am paying for BT4k for no reason.

More importantly we sometimes work from home which means multiple remote connections sometimes sending large volumes of data.

It is just a huge frustration to be put on a waiting list with absolutely no estimate of when we might be connected.

It is the 21st century and I find it appalling that this technology (not even that great) is available to some but not all in the same location and it is pot luck who gets it.

Also BT estimate 4.5 to 11 rather than guaranteeing 11 and from speaking to people who live in the same area the speeds are generally poor so I'm not holding out much hope for that.

Bonding two lines sounds interesting although I have no idea how you would go about That!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 45

I assume you have a BT UHD YouView box? If there is any service that BT cannot provide at your new address, you would not be expected to pay for it.

0 Ratings