Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
CaptnSpaulding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Moving house closer to exchange but no Infinity

Our village has had Infinity since the end of September 2013 and I get a nice speed of 74mb. However I'm moving house at the end of this month, only down the road and the BT Exchange is literally behind its garden. I can see through the buildings windows and can see the line from the house going directly into the BT building's yard. However the house I'm moving into can't get infinity, instead it can only get up to 8mb.

Surely this doesn't make sense?

What's annoying is when I check the availability it doesn't say if it'll come anytime in the future and when I check the bt open reach site it says the exchange already has infinity and is accepting orders. Trying to get more info from customer service is like trying to get blood out of a stone.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
clairelouise2
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Moving house closer to exchange but no Infinity

I bet that house is on an exchange only line..
0 Ratings
temp123
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

yeah doesnt pay to be sitting right on top of the exchange. you need to be connected to a cabinet not directly to the exchange. same problem local to me for some people, they do get 20Mbps though.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

If you run this checker it will show what cabinet the house is connected to however it does look as though you are on an Exchange Only line. This means you will not be able to get a FTTC connection anytime soon. There are plans to put cabinets outside the exchange but it is not high on the priority list for Openreach.

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
Helios
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 8

EO line. Your basically shafted unless You live somewhere where BDUK funding pays to have a PCP and RDSLAM built outside the exchange.

Openreach are reluctant to do it out of their own money as the estimated return on a none profitable PCP is 15 years, which in the business world might as well be 15 million years.
0 Ratings
CaptnSpaulding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

We've got no hope of getting more than 8mb then!? That sucks!

Bizarre thing is, I'll be moving to the more populated side of the village and closer to the high street where the shops and businesses are including my work- and none of these have more than 8mb. Only a minority of the village, maybe a fifth can get infinity and that would be houses not businesses.
0 Ratings
CaptnSpaulding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

As I passed the BT Exchange yesterday I saw some building work going on the pavement. There were fresh concrete slabs laid with 2 cables on each side coming from the ground. I suddenly had a grin on my face.

I went by again today on my way to work and to my surprise, a nice ugly BT cabinet has been placed where the work was being carried! Hoorahh!!!

Is there anywhere at all I can find information on an ETA of this cabinet being live, or if there is anyone I can call? Or does anyone know how long 'roughly' it takes to tranfer everything from the exchange to a cabinet? Am I looking at weeks, or months!?

Many thanks - from a very excited and happy potential new Infinity user (give or take a few months/years)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

most likely months i am afraid this checker may help you
http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/ADSLChecker.TelephoneNumberOutput
0 Ratings