Highlighted
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Moving house - have to switch to FTTP

Go to solution
Hi!

I’m a current Infinity 2 FTTC customer. Am
moving house to an area with FTTP installed. It’s not a new build, it’s a 1930s terrace and the current residents just have copper wire.

Although I’m staying on Infinity 2, BT are insisting on installing a FTTP modem. I don’t seem to have the option to stick with FTTC.

I have mixed views on this. I love to be an early adopter, and FTTP tech sounds great, but the extra hassle of having an engineer out is a bit of a pain given that moving house is already a complicated and tiring business.

What does the forum suggest? Is there any way to insist on FTTC at my new property or is it BT’s right to impose this (I have a year left on my infinity 2 contract, so can’t leave BT). Should I just be happy to get FTTP and put up with the hassle of the engineer installation?

What does the forum think?
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving house - have to switch to FTTP

Go to solution

I would take the opportunity to get FTTP anytime over FTTC

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks! That’s really helpful. I’m happy to have the extra hassle of the end result is worth it.

One issue is the fact that BT want to send an engineer twice, and the date they are proposing for the first engineer is before we own the house!

On this forum, several times it has been stated that Openreach now install FTTP in a single session, with no splicing box on the wall, but over the phone BT have assured me that in my area, two-stage engineer installs are still necessary. Is it possible that they’ve got this wrong?

The order at MyBT also shows two engineer appointments. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
If it’s Legacy Fibre then it’ll still need a Two Step Installation.

The Step 1 Team will put up Fibre Tubing to a Splice Point on the outside of the house and blow a 4 Fibre in from the Splitter Node.

Then after that you’ll get an Installation for a Step 2 Engineer to Install the Optical Network Termination Point. It will require a Fibre Cable running from there to the CSP outside.

It’s only Connectorised Block Terminal Fibre that doesn’t need a Step 1 Build. If FTTP was put up in the area before CBT was around then it’ll will be the Legacy you’ll have.
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

B7F355E9-3CF9-4845-B9BD-A1B5528703C9.jpeg

This is the result of the BTwholesale checker for the new property. Am I right that without FTTP I’d be limited to 7.5Mbps?!!Smiley Surprised

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

looks like copper adsl2 or FTTP and no FTTC available

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Walthamcity
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks! And the “two stage” in the checker table confirms that it’s a two stage install. 

Ok. That’s all my questions answered!

0 Ratings