cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DoctorPolski
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Moving master socket VS data extension kit?

Let me expand on the question.

As soon as BT Infinity is available I will be getting it. Currently my master socket is by the front door and my HH3 is in my conservatory on the back of the house.

I have a HH3 on ADSL because it was sent by BT to try and cure an intermittent line fault without sending an engineer. It didn't and they ended up swapping all my copper pairs from outside under the pavement right through to the exchange.

Whilst engineer was doing that we talked about BT Infinity installs. He was impressed that the HH3 was connected by a long and cleverly routed Cat5e cable straight into a filtering faceplate, no messy filters hanging out of sockets anywhere in my house. 🙂

He said they would move my master socket out to the conservatory to be near my HH3 and use the Cat5e spare pairs to route back to the original master socket location to turn that into a phone extension so my existing extension cabling went to same place.

I thought nothing of that until I read up more about it and wondered why he would have suggested that over using that Cat5e as the basis for a data extension? That would mean putting the vdsl modem near the existing master socket and connecting it to the HH3 via my Cat5e.

My gut feeling would be that "going digital" sooner via the extension kit method would be better otherwise it is just more connections to make on the slightly longer vdsl analog signal.

What is the rationale here? Is there not much in it either way?

All this assumes access to extra power point in all locations etc etc.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Moving master socket VS data extension kit?

The engineer offers a "Home Wiring Solution" which is what you mentioned changing an extension phone socket into the master socket. The current master socket becoming an extension phone socket or even disconnected if there is too much work, permitting you agree. 

He will install the Modem into the main master socket unless requested to install somewhere else, you then tell him where you want it. If it's possible with little work he will agree and carry out the work required. There is no advantage of having the master socket moved or using a data extension kit, though I say moving the master socket could make the area look more clearer depending on how he lays the cable to the area (not under carpet, on skirting boards with pins).

You could easily keep your setup how you have it now if you wish, just ask the engineer. Also, from reading this forum not all contractors will offer this "Home Wiring solution" but Openreach engineers will.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
DoctorPolski
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Well there would be very little new cabling required in either case and it was the engineer who suggested that solution.

I just wondered if there was a good reason to extend the analog signal with extra crimps and connections over "going digital" as soon as possible. From a technological standpoint I mean. I don't imagine it makes a lot of difference either way.

It would certainly be tidier to have modem and HH3 next to each other and right next to the big switch in my conservatory.

Does BT have any plans to offer an integrated vdsl modem/router? I see many people are trying out various vdsl kit and even trying to use the OR modem itself as router etc.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 6

There are tests going on at the min of VDSL router/modems (all-in-one).

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

What the engineer has suggested is moving your master socket rather than a data extension. Modem and HH3 would then be in the conservatory along with a phone on one socket.

Existing master would become a basic extension socket for a phone.

If you just had a data extension into the conservatory your modem and HH3 would still be sited there but you would also need the phone socket for a phone (presuming you have one in the conservatory).

Both scenarios give the same cable length for the VDSL signal. The first gives just one socket  with phone and VDSL output in the conservatory as opposed to a socket for each.

0 Ratings
DoctorPolski
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Yeah I suppose my alternative example doesn't describe a data extension kit, just a pre-existing and very long ethernet connection between modem (near existing master socket) and HH3. I can see how the vsdl would be the same in that case.

I don't have a phone in conservatory (well it is a DECT) so don't need a phone socket.

So a data extension kit is just a glorified "phone extension socket" with higher quality cabling? Rather than plugging the modem straight into the 'data' port on the new faceplate (near existing master socket) I assume the new socket wiring plugs into that port on the faceplate and terminates in a new socket just much further away? And then the modem plugs into the new socket? Surely that would make the vdsl run longer? If I needed a phone point in the conservatory too it would require a second socket extension, on a seperate cable run that terminate on the POTS output on the new faceplate?

EDIT: Scratch that, of course the vdsl would be the same in both cases. The difference is whether the "extended bit" comes before or after the master socket. So moving the master socket means the "BT owned" cable from the box in the road would then extend over my existing Cat5 and terminate in my conservatory.

0 Ratings