cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AislingM
Message 1 of 10

Moving modem & hub or just the hub away from BT Infinity Master Socket?

Hi,

Having recently moved into a new build house, the BT Infinity Master Socket is positioned in the hallway.  However, I need to reposition either the modem and hub or just the hub to another location approx.. 10 metres away.  This second location is where I have cat6 cables run from different points in the house.  I want to be able to connect these cat 6 cables to the hub via a patch panel when required.

I also have a cat6 cable run from behind the BT Infinity Master Socket to the second location where I want the modem/hub or hub to be located.

My question:  How do I connect the cat6 cable at the BT Infinity Master Socket to allow me to move either the modem and hub or just the hub to the second location?

I want the phone to stay connected directly to the Master Socket in the hall, and just the modem & hub or just the hub moved.

Many thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Guru
Message 2 of 10

Re: Moving modem & hub or just the hub away from BT Infinity Master Socket?

I suggest moving just the hub.  Replace the red cable connecting the modem to the hub with the cat6 cable you already have.  Use the same sockets at each end as the red cable presumably uses now; LAN1 on the modem to BT Infinity on the hub (WAN).  You need standard RJ45 connectors on your cable.

If your existing cat6 cable is already terminated with sockets (RJ45 hopefully), use ethernet patch cables to connect them to the modem/hub respectively.

You could move the modem as well if you really wanted, but I wouldn't advise it.  That would need RJ11 sockets on each end of your cable.  It could cause slight loss of speed due to the extra VDSL signal run.

0 Ratings
AislingM
Message 3 of 10

Many thanks for the fast reply!

Yes, if I can manage to get the cat6 out from the Master Socket, and connected to an RJ45 box and then to the modem, then this would be best.  The cat6 cable is presently in the master socket box.

If I was to move both modem and hub, how would I wire the cat6 internally in the Master Socket?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 4 of 10

If I was to move both modem and hub, how would I wire the cat6 internally in the Master Socket?

Not sure on that one.  Probably someone here will know and answer, or if not post on Thinkbroadband.

I'm not sure whether you are technically meant to anyway; don't know where the 'Openreach only' territory ends.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
AislingM
Message 6 of 10

Thank you all.

So looking at the pic, you have highlighted a place for inserting two wires.  I assume this is for extending the data connection?

If I connect two wires from the cat6 cable here, what would I terminate these onto at the far end, an RJ11 box for connecting the modem into?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Yes, that's right
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 8 of 10

Or you could terminate the other end directly with RJ11 plug if more convenient.
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 10

If terminating rj11 plugs it probably worth just doing the same at both ends instead of punching into the terminals in the socket.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 10

If he's got enough spare cable at the master socket end ...
0 Ratings