cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

Moving to a new home on OFNL (Open Fibre Networks Limited)

Evening All, 

First Time Poster looking for some advice/guidance, 

We are moving into a new build property on 1 July that is setup for FTTP through Open Fibre Networks rather than Openreach, has anyone got any experience of moving their BT contract or cancelling?

I spoke to one of the moving team today briefly and they advised that they should be able to supply the new Full Fibre, but surely this would need an Openreach platform... she said if I'd need to cancel would need to pay up to £750 as we have 16/17 months left on contact - have never had this experience before as always ported my BT contract when moving between rental properties. 

Thanks in advance

Luke

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Moving to a new home on OFNL (Open Fibre Networks Limited)

You cannot get BT services via Open Fibre Networks.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Thanks pippincp, 

I thought as much!  

I'd assume that an exit charges will be waved under the clause "you move home and we cannot provide a service at your new UK address." will have to give the moving team another call tomorrow!

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

Could be interesting, there is a Universal Service Obligation ( USO ) on Openreach/BT  , so unlike Virgin Media customers who move to an area that VM don’t service, BT generally cannot say ‘it’s not an area we serve, you are ‘in contract‘ , so you have  pay ETC’s ‘.

OR’s network is  ubiquitous,  so moving an existing ‘contract’ isn’t normally an issue,  but with OFNL and ‘new sites’,  ‘BT’ are locked out of the site by the developer, (who has done a sweetheart deal with OFNL, Persimmon Homes do this on many of their sites)

Owners of property’s in this situation have no choice in providers, apart form using mobile only , so it’s possible ‘BT’ could take a view that they would provide a continuation of your existing deal at the new address if it were not for the developer blocking them from doing so ( the difference between your situation and most home movers ).

Could they  ‘insist’ on the early termination charges ?, after all it’s not their fault , they would like to serve your new address but are being stopped from doing so.

Chances are ETC won’t  happen , it’s not likely that they can differentiate between ONFL and ‘regular’ non served areas , but if it did , would you pay  ? ( if you were a VM customer you wouldn’t have a choice ) but its not unreasonable for you to assume you could get ‘BT’ anywhere in the country, if you did get hit with ETC would the developer cover your costs ?

Message 5 of 7

Thanks iniltous, 

We're moving into a David Wilson home, unusual as on their website they state that most are setup with Openreach so surprising that they have gone for the OFNL approach. Is a shame as the new BT Full Fibre is fairly competitively priced! 

I will initiate the home move and see where we get! 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

Hi Loak89,

I know it has almost been a year since your post but that might give the best answer based on experience. I am a happy BT fibre customer moving to a new build with OFNL as the only option and like your post, tied into a BT contract. Were you able to cancel your contract based on the fact that they can't move you or did you have to pay an early termination fee?

Cheers.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

If BT are unable to provide service at your new property, they cannot charge early termination fees.