cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 4

Multiple router question

Hi,

New here so apologies in advance if its a daft / often asked question.

Here's my situation in a nutshell, soon I'll be moving house & will have a static caravan on the property approximately 15m from the main house. If I want to have BT fibre (which is avaialble in the locale) in both the house & the caravan, is there a way to do this with a single account & if not, will BT install what's required to a caravan?

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Multiple router question

Just run an Ethernet cable between the house and the caravan, that is the simplest way.

Look for something like...

15m OUTDOOR EXTERNAL cat5e Network Ethernet Cable (PVC Lined) BLACK

I would opt for 20M, to allow room internally.

Less then £10.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 4

Just to add, if you need wireless access in the caravan, then simply add a wireless access point like the TP Link WA801ND and plug the end of the Ethernet cable into it.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

You have not said if the caravan is to be used by your family or by guests. If it is guests you will need to consider that if you connect the caravan to your BT Homehub the guests will have access to your private home network. This might be something that you do not want. 

If it does not matter or it is only used by your family, depending on where your BT Homehub is to be sited in your house you may find that the wireless signal will reach to the caravan.

If it is to be use by guests you could buy a third party router that allows "guest networks" and replace the BT Homehub . This will keep your guests separate from your own private home network.