cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 7

My BT 900 FTTP as slow as FTTC

Got the BT FTTP 900mbps package over a week ago but its barely any faster than my old FTTC package from plusnet!

I tested it out when engineer installed it and showed him it was only connected at 110mbps but he said it can take up to a week to reach the final speed. So I thought it may bounce around different speeds until then but its been 110mbps solid ever since.

(I have tested using an ethernet cable direct to laptop, and also a cable direct to modem to bypass hub)

Called BT tech support few times, but they havnt been much use, telling me to restart router and check wifi etc. One tech support woman even told me its impossible to measure the speed of modern broadband lol. Ive tested with all the speed checkers and BT are able to confirm remotely that I'm not hitting my minimum guarantee. Eventually an openreach engineer came out but he essentially said he cant do anything about speeds, can only help if the connection doesn't work at all. He did do a test on the line though and couldn't see any problems.

Ive read on another forum that there may be an issue with my account and that I have been assigned the wrong "Service line type" ? Which I believe is the provisioning information that is sent to BT wholesale in order to setup account? However I need some more details before I ring again as afraid I wont get anywhere without some concrete information.

Anyone else run into the this issue, or provide any advice?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: My BT 900 FTTP as slow as FTTC

Hi,

Thats not good 😞

Firstly FTTP does not have settling down period i am sure engineer may have got confused with FTTC

I would set up PPPoE and see what speeds you get their.

Other things i would check are

(if you have windows 10)

1> delivery optimization settings

windows settings>delivery optimization>advanced options> and limit the toggles to 100%

2>also ipconfig /flushdns through cmd

Also check to see if you have another ethernet cat5e 6 to try out.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 7

Only the FTTP team can help you with this. Don't forget to tell them you've ruled out the hub with a direct connection to the ONT. 0800 587 4787

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 7

yes tried PPPoE  - its same

Check windows optimization settings and they all turned off

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 7

"Only the FTTP team can help you with this. Don't forget to tell them you've ruled out the hub with a direct connection to the ONT. 0800 587 4787"

Yes but thats the problem, I cant get past the "you cant trust speed checkers" line or then its booking openreach engineer who says its BTs issue. Im more inclined to believe openreach tbh, ie once connection is established wouldnt speed be BT responsibility?

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 7

BT recommend using https://fast.com/  Ring the direct number I gave you to make sure you get through to the right team.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 7

if your connection speed is still very low then you would contact ISP BT RETAIL who would organise an openreach engineer appointment

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings