Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Badabings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 33

My BT Infinity 1 'activation' delay - supposed to be 16th May

Hi everyone,
I hope you are well.
I am new to this forum and I decided to join this morning, as I feel like I don't have any other choices!! 😞
I have been a long standing customer of BT telephone.
Over 1 year ago I also got standard ADSL broadband with BT. Getting speeds of around 15Mbps, and upload speed of 0.9mbps.
Throughout that year, I kept waiting and waiting for Fiber Optic to be made available in my area. But it didn't, until a few weeks ago!
So I ordered BT Infinity 1 and 'activation' was set to be 16th May.
I received my Home Hub 5 router, so I replaced my home hub 4, even before Acrivation date.
16th May arrived....no change in speeds, waited and waited, nothing. I was still getting standard ADSL speed, like before.
I restarted router etc.
I decided to contact BT, to ask what was going on, as nobody from BT emailed me or anything to update me on the situation.
All I www told is that there is a delay and wait for an 'Update'.
I was not happy......
So I waited, waited .......
We are now the 24th May, and I still don't have Infonity speeds. Between the 16th May and 24th May, I have contacted BT like 20 times!!
The update which I got from BT over last weekend was:
"Unfortunately there is a capacity issue at the exchange and cabinet as no DSLAM ports are available to connect fiber optic. A multi skilled engineer has been assigned to increase the capacity and it will BE resolved on 22/05/2016, once the d-slam issue is sorted , we can book an earliest appointment on 23/05/2016, so that the services will go live by 23/05/2016 midnight. "
Oh yeah by the way, I also kept tracking my BT order online. The Order remained 'Open' until like 2 days ago.
Please, I need your help on what I need to do.
We are now the 24th May, and I'm still just getting ADSL download and upload speed.
Thank you everyone.
Tags (1)
0 Ratings
32 REPLIES 32
Badabings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 33

Re: My BT Infinity 1 'activation' delay - supposed to be 16th May

Oh and by the way everyone, below are the results from Dslchecker and Home Hub 5 troubleshooting helpdesk steps.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice?

1) DSL CHECKER

Capture.JPG

2) Home Hub 5 troubleshooting helpdesk results:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ60534006
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 14/05/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 07:29:22
6. Data rate:1101 / 19411
7. Maximum data rate:1104 / 19840
8. Noise margin:6.7 / 6.7
9. Line attenuation:3.6 / 12.9
10. Signal attenuation:3.6 / 11.5
11. Data sent/received:105.7 MB / 1.1 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-CP2F
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-CP2F_5GHz
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:90:72:82:80:a7:b2
24. VPI/VCI:0 / 38
25. Modulation:G.992.5 Annex A
26. Latency type:Interleaved
27. Software variant:AA
28. Boot loader:1.0.0

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 33

If there's no spare ports then there's no spare ports. The issue will be the same for any customer on your cabinet regardless of which ISP they chose.

Openreach seem to be going to fit a new line card on the 22nd to increase capacity, once done, an appointment can be booked for an engineer to connect you to a port on the new line card.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Badabings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 33

Hi Webby, good morning.

Thank you for your reply.

When you say no spare ports, does that mean on the cabinet or the exchange?

The reason I am asking this is because the cabinet that i am connected to is a very very new cabinet, which only recently in the (past 3 weeks or so) started 'Accepting Orders' for fiber optic. Before that, fiber optic was saying Unavailable.

So how is it possible that there are no spare ports, when it is such a new service offered in past few weeks?

You also said 'Openreach seem to be going to fit a new line card on the 22nd to increase capacity'. This would be at the Exchange or Cabinet?

SO what should I do now? Do you think that my BT Infinity will be working at my home today 24th May?

Thank you for your help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 33

which exchange and cab are you on?

it will be lack of capacity at the fibre cab and if that is the case then you just need to wait until openreach increase capacity and then place your order  there is nothing your ISP BT Retail can do to speed up openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 33

As above, it's cabinet based.

Each cabinet has a number of slots for line cards to be fitted to. Each line card has 32 ports, one port per customer that wants FTTC.

Initially, only 1 or 2 cards are fitted (current average FTTC take up is around 20% of customers who are served from a cabinet). Once all of the ports are taken, a flag is raised to Openreach on their systems to order a new line card for the cabinet to increase capacity.

Usually on cabinets that serve people who have slow ADSL the take up can be very quick. It's been known for line cards to fill up within days of additional capacity being added.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Badabings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 33

Hi everyone, thank you for your replies and help!

My Exchange is SOUTH KENSINGTON, and Cabinet 36.

I have to say I am 'confused.' Green Fiber opric cabinet has not been providing fiber optic in our whole area, until 3-4 weeks ago! As soon as it became available, I jumped on it and ordered BT Infinity.

So i cannot understand how there could be over capacity already

Please can anyone here, maybe from BT Openreach etc, advise what is the status now?

Thank you for your help!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 33

This is a customer help customer forum and there is no contact from here to openreach

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 33

Have you read what I said?

If there's only 1 line card installed, that's a maximum of 32 connections. A cabinet can sometimes serve 500 or so properties, so it is possible that 32 other people have ordered fibre services and a new line card is needed.
0 Ratings
Badabings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 33

Hi there,

Thank you for your replies.

Please find attached a BT Wholesale diagnostics test results which was run on the telephone line:

BT Wholesale diagnostics screen capture 310pm.JPG

0 Ratings