Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

My FTTP diary. Order stage onwards

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of having FTTP installed.  We're one of the few lucky streets on our estate that is getting this type of fibre broadband.

I wanted to share my ongoing experience with everyone.  I've discovered what a long and drawn out process this is and realised there is a limited amount of information out there regards what happens following the order process.

Hopefully this will give others an insight into what happens once you place your order for FTTP.

Our street was built in 1989 and the phone and broadband is provided through the underground boxes with the light coloured lids.

I placed my order on 19th September 2017.  The rep I spoke with seemed to think this would be a straightfoward process.  2 seperate visits from engineers.  The 1st being on 22/09/2017 to fit the CSP (Customer Splice Point) to my house and run the fibre to it.  Had a text msg to confirm.  This was a no show.  Then a final visit on 28th to do the internal work.  Again a no show.  This was expected as the 1st visit never took place.

Here's a screen capture of my order tracker:

FTTP order tracker.jpg

The delivery of the router was on time.

We had an unscheduled visit from a BT engineer on 3rd October saying they would need to dig up my drive to lay the plastic duct for the fibre optic cable.  They wanted my permission to do so and to know whether I wanted to be there or not.  I chose not to be there.

Now shortly after this visit Virgin began digging up our street to lay their own fibre optic network.  Callan Connect Civil Engineering were responsible for this.  On Thursday 12th we had a knock on the door from 3 guys from Callan Connect Civil Engineering.  They were there to dig up my drive to lay the plastic conduit for my BT installation.  It turns out they work for Virgin and BT.  I have a blocked paved driveway so they only had to lift up the required blocks and dig a channel for the conduit.  It took approximately 3 hours for the work to be completed.

The week beginning 16th October the engineers began to dig up the pavement outside our house to lay Virgin's fibre optic cable.  They informed me that they would also lay down a cable for my BT install at the same time to save digging up the path again.  Made perfect sense to me.

I spoke with BT the morning of the 25th to chase up my order.  I was told my next review date is the 13th November.  However, an hour later I received a call from BT on 0800 085 7916 saying more ducting needs to be laid and my review date is 10th November.  I'm now a little confused.

As of 31st October, my order tracker has been updated with a message saying the following:

We're sorry, there has been a delay with your order.

But don't worry, we're investigating how we can get your order back on track in the background for you. If we need to get in contact with you we will, but in the meantime you can always can keep an eye on your order progress in the timeline below.

I'll post updates as they come in.  In the mean-time if anyone has any questions or comments I'd love to hear from you.

I would also like to add that this isn't a complaint or a rant.  Simply a diary of events to give others an idea of what to expect.  Hope this helps.

38 REPLIES 38
Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 39

Re: My FTTP diary. Order stage onwards

Go to solution

Ok guys.

I've had an update from BT today.  08/11/2017. 

I have an internal appointment booked for 20th November to fit my new service.  I'm really excited.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the type of process to be used.

My original understanding was there would be 2 appointments.  An external appointment to fit the CSP to my house and connect the fibre to the CSP.  Then an internal appointment to wire the router to the CSP.

If I'm only having an internal appointment does this mean I will be getting the connectorized fibre?

Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution

Could well be a conectorized install as these seem to be happening more frequently.

Keep us updated though.

Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution
Will do.
Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution

Hi Guys,

A quick update on my FTTP installation.

As you know my installation date was confirmed by BT for this coming Monday 20th November.

This has now been put back 2 days to Wednesday 22nd November. I know this isn't a big deal. However, I only found out about this change by going on my order tracker to see that the appointment had been altered. I didn't receive any communication whatsoever from BT that this had been done. I have spoken to the FTTH team and they confirmed that the 22nd November is the new installation date.

I thought it best to let everyone know that this can happen and more importantly, keep using the 'Track An Order' function in your online accounts. Had I not checked I would have taken the morning off work for nothing and lost money.

Communication, Communication, Communication...

Bluemoon87
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution
I noticed this too, strange that a txt or email isn’t generated for the change. Main thing is at least it was updated and we were looking at the orders :).
0 Ratings
Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

I suppose it's rather ironic as BT are in the communications industry yet they seem reluctant to communicate.

Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution
Ok guys.

I've just had another phone call from BT.

My appointment hasn't changed. However, it is only provisional. Apparently, the engineers still don't know if the installation can definitely take place.

The engineers are going to check this coming Monday and Tuesday ( 20th & 21st November) whether everything is in place for the installation on Wednesday.

I have to say, I'm starting to get a little frustrated now. I know I'm not paying toward any of the work. I'm just fed up of being told different things. I get one phone call saying the installation will take place on a certain date. Then another to say it may not take place on that date.

Anyway, I'll keep you updated. This is going to be a long and frustrating ride.

Have a good weekend everyone.
Pea_Head_Dave
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

Ok Guys,

It is now 22nd November and I'm happy to say BT Openreach have installed my fibre broadband.

What can I say but, Wow.  I knew it would be fast, but I had no idea.

Results below for before and after FTTP installation.

ADSL Ethernet Test from this morning:

ADSL Ethernet Test.jpg

ADSL WIFI Test from this morning:

ADSL WIFI Test.jpg

Fibre Ethernet Test:

Fibre Ethernet Test.jpg

Fibre WIFI Test:

Fibre WIFI Test.jpg

It's been a little over 2 months from order to installation.  I've had to be patient with this and believe me it is worth the wait.  BT and Openreach have been great, despite the lack of communication here and there.

Everything has connected to the Home Hub 6 with ease apart from my Sky Q mini boxes.  I think I need to completely reset my Sky Q system and start again.  I'll do that later.

I'm now looking forward to getting back home and playing on my games consoles and downloading/streaming some UHD films and tv.  I can't wait.  

In conclusion.  Fibre To The Premises is awesome.  Thank you BT and thank you Openreach.

If any one has any questions please feel free to ask.  Thanks for looking guys.

dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

Assuming your a usual house holder what is the cost please?

0 Ratings