cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rasherkane
Message 1 of 4

My Infinity Option 1 Speeds dropping

Hi

I'm losing any hope of getting my issue resolved but here goes.  I got BT Infinity 1 on 22nd Jan 13.  Since then it randomly drops down from around 37.5 mb d/l  to 0.25 mb dl on my Wired Ethernet Connection.  It is unusable and the only way to fix it is to hold reset button on the back of the HH3 b.   I've made numerous calls to India and had an Engineer round who checked the line and said it was 100% in every way.  It is still dropping randomly, usually after I switch on PC in the morning ( HH3 stays on all the time )  it drops down to unusable speeds.  I have been sent a different HH3b which made no difference.  Its quite laughable that the last call I made to the tech team in India resulted in them refunding me for lack of service of 19 days afterwards they basically asked what else I wanted them to do about it???   I told them I wanted a permanent fix to which they repeated that I had already been sent a HH3b and that the Engineer had said the line was OK.   In other words they didn't know so fobbed me off with a 19 day refund.  The problem hasn't gone away.  The last thing they said to do was to plug my Ethernet cable to PC from port 4 to port 2?  Made no difference.   I read that there was an inherent design problem with the HH3 b especially with the firmware, something to do with memory or something.  Its like my HH3 loses sync after being left without use for a few hours?   Im writing this so as to get a reply from a UK tech guy or girl if possible as I have exhausted all avenues to no avail.   Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
SaxBlower
Beginner
Message 2 of 4

Re: My Infinity Option 1 Speeds dropping

Unfortunately, I don't think BT Infinity is, as yet, "fit for purpose" for a significant number of customers.  
The Openreach engineers have visited me 6 times since my July 2012 install. Speed always drops to around 2 Mb/s after 2 or 3 weeks and sometimes goes off completely.
At this point, I must say that the Openreach enineers were all excellent and did their best to help within the parameters that their company allows them to operate.
Two of the Openreach engineers told me that Infinity (FTTC - Fibre to the cabinet) is extremely susceptible and over-sensitive to interference in the form of REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) and can be almost impossible to track down, even with the extremely expensive RF Tester 444B.  They said that it could even be a neighbour across the road with an electrical appliance that works OK but emits this REIN !!
The worst part is, once they decide that it is a REIN fault, you are completely on your own and have to find the offending interference source yourself !!!

Until BT/Openreach can desensitise or make the system more tolerant of REIN, for many of us it is simply "not fit for purpose".

I'ill now have to start the process of contacting the TV/Radio consumer programs and complaining to OffCom.  I urge those of you who are suffering similarly to do the same in the hope that we can get more extensive help from BT/Openreach and receive the product as per the advertising.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
rickydg
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Have you tried plugging direct in to the OR modem? I would test this method to see if the fault occurs again, of it doesn't then it's the hh3 at fault and time to invest in a new router!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@SaxBlower wrote:

Unfortunately, I don't think BT Infinity is, as yet, "fit for purpose" for a significant number of customers.  
The Openreach engineers have visited me 6 times since my July 2012 install. Speed always drops to around 2 Mb/s after 2 or 3 weeks and sometimes goes off completely.
At this point, I must say that the Openreach enineers were all excellent and did their best to help within the parameters that their company allows them to operate.
Two of the Openreach engineers told me that Infinity (FTTC - Fibre to the cabinet) is extremely susceptible and over-sensitive to interference in the form of REIN (Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise) and can be almost impossible to track down, even with the extremely expensive RF Tester 444B.  They said that it could even be a neighbour across the road with an electrical appliance that works OK but emits this REIN !!
The worst part is, once they decide that it is a REIN fault, you are completely on your own and have to find the offending interference source yourself !!!

Until BT/Openreach can desensitise or make the system more tolerant of REIN, for many of us it is simply "not fit for purpose".

I'ill now have to start the process of contacting the TV/Radio consumer programs and complaining to OffCom.  I urge those of you who are suffering similarly to do the same in the hope that we can get more extensive help from BT/Openreach and receive the product as per the advertising.

Load of rubbish. REIN effects ADSL too. You can find sources of REIN by getting a radio and tuning it to 612khz AM. Cant blame openreach for other peoples faulty electronics effecting your broadband.