Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dj1891
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 5

My garden needs dug up for FTTP?

Go to solution

I ordered BT Infinity FTTP, and this morning randomly at 9am an Openreach guy arrived. He checked out my phone socket etc and said no good, I'm gonna have to go through the garden and lift slabs at the front of the house, install a box in the front garden and then drill through the wall and install another box. He said he would be in touch.

I can't picture this at all, by the talks of him I am gonna have a random box just sitting in my garden about 1 ft away from the door. 

Do any of you guys know what I am on about? Can this box not be hidden underground or something? It's gonna be an eyesore if nothing else.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: My garden needs dug up for FTTP?

Go to solution
You need what's called a customer splice point or CSP. Looks like this https://goo.gl/images/o2y6M8

I assume you current copper line is "direct in ground" which means it has no ducting. In which case ducting will need to be installed for the fibre cable to get from the distribution point to your CSP.

From the CSP the fibre will come through your wall to the Openreach ONT (which is similar to a modem) and looks like this https://goo.gl/images/nBW2Ur

You then connect your home hub to the ONT.

It's a small price to pay to have the best broadband connectivity you can get.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
dj1891
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

That looks fine attached to the wall, the way this guy explained it is this thing is just stuck in my front garden, he the lifts a slab at the front door and runs a cable under it into the house.  Surely you just can't leave this randomly in the front garden for the kids to constantly trip over?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution
Nah he's not explained it correct.

It's a neat little box, no bigger in width and height of a 6 carten egg box. Similar to a BT66 that houses copper connections.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
dj1891
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Seems like this is gonna drag on, I have a guy coming on Friday to do the outside work, its not even been dug up yet, I have phoned BT FTTH several time who contact Openreach who never give them an answer, as far as they know a contractor hasn't even been booked yet. 

The contractor dug up the neighbours early last week Openreach reach have never appeared to do the outside work, there is just a piece of blue cable sticking up out the front of these houses.

0 Ratings