cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 2

My internet speeds are inconsistent and change almost every second by a large amount

My download speeds have been very inconsistent almost for the duration of being on BT however I always assumed that UK internet was always "meh". However recently this problem has become far worst and sees my download speeds sitting at1Mbps then rocketing to a stable 20Mbps, i restart the speedtest again it drops down to a stable 8Mbps then 43Mbps then 1Mpbs etc every time I restart the google speedtest.

I have a TPLink router connected to my Hub router by ethernet which has QoS, after setting this to a 1000Mbps and enabling it I would expect to have a smoother epxerience however it persists. This issue also persists on my devices that are connected to the wifi hub directly.

The PC I use is conected to a range extender by ethernet cable. That extender is wirelessly connected to an alternate TPLink wifi router. That TPLink wifi router is connected by ethernet cable to the Hub. My problem isnt the speeds but the consistency in the speeds. When I play games with movement my character experiences rubber banding, I have also noticed ping spikes and also packet loss. It seems no matter how many devices are connected to the internet it always variates the speed at which it connects to googles speedtest servers.

How do I go about diagnosing the issue? My setup is complex however I dont think the extender or alternate routers are to blame as when connected to the Hub directly it still experiences the same issues.

Any assistance would be appreciated as this issue has been haunting our household for the majority of time we have been connected to BT.

0 Ratings
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Re: My internet speeds are inconsistent and change almost every second by a large amount

please can you post the stats from your router (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser) and if  HH5 then go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if HH6/SH2 then advanced settings then technical log information . 

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number   https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings