cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ashhopkins
Message 1 of 5

My terrible experience with BT

My problems started a few weeks ago. I noticed my broadband speed had dropped from around 45mbps down to 40mbps and it was getting slower each day.

I used live chat to inform BT of the problem and was disconnected twice during the conversation, each time I ended up speaking to a different person and none of them had any record of my previous conversation.

After finally getting the last person to understand the problem, run their diagnostics, etc they agreed to send out an engineer to review the connection.

My setup is a little non standard, Draytek Vigor 130 with an ASUS RT-AC68U. I use these because I wanted a better router than what BT could offer and there is no way to pass through the Broadband as a PPPOE connection to a third party router.

On the day the engineer arrived (last Friday) 15th June, the speed was at the lowest I’d seen it at 35mpbs.

The engineer said that there was a fault with the cabling outside the property and reterminated it. When he was done, I saw the broadband was back up to the highest speed I’d ever seen it, 51mpbs. I was happy.

He said that even though the cabling was ok, the speed was still not that good and he was going to the cabinet to do a lift and shift. I assumed at the time, and have come to realise through one of my dozen or calls to BT that this means he was swapping us over to another port in the cabinet. I thought that meant we would have even faster broadband, maybe even up to the 67mbps max I was quoted on the dslchecker.

He disappeared for about an hour and I was enjoying my 51mpbs broadband when the connection cut out. I assumed that is because he had moved it to another port so I just waited until he came back to my house to reconnect it.

He came back about 10-15 mins later, ran all his tests and said everything was ok but that all the ports in the cabinet were not great and he put us on one that was slightly better than the last. He left a few minutes after, making me sign for the job and sat in his van for a bit. I was still quite optimistic at this point.

I logged in to my modem and saw the speed was about 50mbps, but I didn’t actually check if it was working.

I went about my day, then when I came to use my internet connection, I realised that it wasn’t working. My router was complaining about PADI/PADO timeouts so I restarted everything, still not working. I connected my laptop directly to the modem and tried using Windows to start a PPPOE connection, same error as the router.

At this point, and after some Googling, I assumed that BT hardware might be required to resolve the problem, so I dusted off my HomeHub 5 and plugged it in, which gave me a dissatisfying orange light after several minutes of waiting.

This is when I made my first call to BT, they were nice and reassured me that they would look into the problem and get someone to call me back within 4 days, although they were sure it would be resolved sooner. I wasn’t happy with this, but they were just following procedure.

The 18th (this Monday) rolled by and we still had no broadband, so I called up to ask when they expected it would be fixed, they assured me it would be fixed by the 19th, which it wasn’t, even though they closed the fault. This is when I raised a complaint because I’d been without broadband for almost 5 days. The customer services agent said they would send me a new hub, free of charge and they wouldn’t even charge postage(!!!), because the only reason it could be broken is because of the hub, even though I explained that I’d tried it with two different modems and neither worked so I knew it wasn’t the hub.

A few minutes after I get off the call, I get a call from someone in BT saying that they wanted to ask me some questions about my hub, because apparently it had given someone an electric shock. This was not the case, I explained what I knew and he seemed like he had a good amount of technical knowledge because he was talking about PPP sessions and wanting to fix the problem for me. He said he would raise a case with BT wholesale and get back to me on the 20th, which he did.

On the 20th (yesterday) he said that something was stuck in BT’s backend systems that was probably preventing our port from being activated with our account (which is what I knew the fault was all along), that he was doing all he could to push it through and that he would be in touch again probably on the 22nd.

Today, the new hub arrives. The hub that I was assured would fix all of our problems by the last CSR I spoke to. I really hoped it would fix the problem (somehow) and when I plugged it in, I waited anxiously for a couple of minutes to be greeted by that familiar ORANGE light.

So I call the help desk number, again. I was told for the 4th or 5th time that it was a “fault outside the property” and that BT was doing everything they could to fix it. At this point, I sort of lost it. I told the CSR that I did not believe them, because I originally called up about slow broadband and I’ve now had zero broadband for almost a week and nothing seems to be happening to progress it. They explained that someone from higher management was calling me tomorrow so it’s defintely being taken seriously!

So now I’m expecting a call from someone tomorrow to explain to me when/how this is going to be fixed. I can’t help but think that I’ll be waiting weeks until it’s back working as before. I definitely will never report a problem with the speed to BT again as I’ve lost trust in the business to correctly identify and fix what is probably a common, simple fault.

This is 2018, no one can live (happily!) without broadband any more, we get barely any mobile phone signal where we live and we’re super lucky that one of our neighbours has BTWifi enabled so we can get on the fon network, even though it is dog slow and disconnects every hour or so.

I wanted to come on here, both to vent and to see if there’s anyone on the forums who has experienced the same or similar and how long they had to wait, and whether any of the admins on here can help push this through.

Thanks in advance for any assistance/advice that anyone can give.
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: My terrible experience with BT

@ashhopkins 

That makes sad reading. I have asked the mods to help and they will post here tomorrow

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
ashhopkins
Message 3 of 5

Thank you @imjolly, I really appreciate it.

This situation is just so frustrating, all I really want is for someone within BT to take ownership and sort it. Having to explain the same thing to everyone each time I call and have them run the same set of tests and find the same results with no resolution is the worst part and what drove me to wrote that short novel above.

Fingers crossed that tomorrow is the day it comes back 🤞.

Ash
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

@ashhopkins

The mods will post access to a link for a form you need to complete and after you submit the form the mods will get back to you when your form reaches top of inbox. The mods reply in order forms received to ensure everyone's priority problem is treated equally. This can take 2/3 days but they will contact you either by email or phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 5

Hi @ashhopkins,

I am sorry that we've not been able to give you the help that you need. If you are prepared to give us a chance here, we will do everything we can to help you get this sorted.

To get in touch with us, click on my user name and then copy and paste the link under "Moderation Team Email Address" into your browser.  Complete that form and we'll get back in touch with you.

Thanks

DanielS

Community ModeratorDannyS
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings