cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
gbarker
Message 1 of 3

NO INFINITY - TOO CLOSE TO THE EXCHANGE

I live accross the road from the exchange and I have been told by BT several times that I will NEVER be able to get BT Infinity!!

This is absolutely shocking! If I lived in the middle of a field miles from civilization I would totally understand, but we live in the middle of a town in Essex and being told that we cannot get this services becuase we are 'too close' is bonkers.

Does anyone have any information about this? And is this a common policy/issue for BT?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: NO INFINITY - TOO CLOSE TO THE EXCHANGE

You will be on an Exchange Only  (EO) line. This means that you are connected directly to the Exchange and not a cabinet. 

Very basically, to get Infinity you have to be connected to a telephone cabinet which is linked to a Fibre Cabinet.

It is Openreach and not BT who own and run the infrastructure and they can not put Fibre cabinets into the Exchange. They would have to put a cabinet out side the exchange and then connect your line to the cabinet.

Openreach are doing this in some areas but it is not high on their priorities at present.

This means that you will not be able to get any form of fibre broadband from any of the ISP unless you happen to have Virgin in your area who could supply fibre as they use a different infrastructure.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 3

Re: NO INFINITY - TOO CLOSE TO THE EXCHANGE

I assume you're on an exchange only line.

If you're that close you should be getting almost 20meg and would have had a nice smile on your face for many years at those who could only, and some who still only get less than 2meg.

The reason being is that the interference given off from the equipment used in fibre to the cabinet (VDSL2) would interfere too much with exchange based equipment, so it has been outlawed from being installed.

In some areas, new cabinets are built outside the exchanges to route lines through in order to provide FTTC, in other areas, fibre is ran straight to the home from the exchange.

As it stands, you won't be a high priority as you'll have a decent speed already when millions are still unable to stream BBC Iplayer on their sub 2meg connection.

So while it's not never, it's unlikely to be soon.

What's your postcode?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings