Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mattanorak
Contributor
Message 1 of 9

NTE5C Faceplate with G.Fast fitting

Hi there,

I upgraded to G.Fast back in May.  All has been well.  Yesterday I went to plug a phone into the NTE (it's an NTE5 with a G.Fast plate over it).  I noticed that when I pulled the phone cable out of the socket, the G.Fast plate came off the NTE, thus cutting everything off until I put it back on.

It's one of these:

gfast.jpg

It looks like these are supposed to just snap on and come off when they're squeezed at the side, but this one will pull off with only the slightest of ease (can remove it with one finger, effortlessly).

Has anyone else seen this, or have I just realised that I have a dodgy faceplate?  Do I need to do anything about it if it's all working properly?

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: NTE5C Faceplate with G.Fast fitting

Unfortunately, to cut costs, the latest face plates are connected to the back plate by clips not screws. It may be that one/both clips have snapped. I'm not sure whether BT will replace it FOC, though.
0 Ratings
mattanorak
Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks.

They should do, because as far as I know, it’s always been like that. TBH, it’s be easier for me to do it myself if it really needed it. But as long as it doesn’t cause any issues or nobody starts to plug / unplug stuff into it, then I guess it’s doing no harm.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

if it becomes a problem then couple bits of duct tape will solve it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 5 of 9

‘Unfortunately, to cut costs, the latest face plates are connected to the back plate by clips not screws. It may be that one/both clips have snapped. I'm not sure whether BT will replace it FOC, though.’

Where did you read that, because it’s wrong.

Openreach changed the Faceplate from a screw fixing to those **bleep**ty clips because customers used to moan like old tarts when they were asked to unscrew the NTE Faceplate to try a phone into the test socket.

If I had a £1 for every time I heard;

‘I can’t unscrew that, I’m not an Engineer’.
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 6 of 9

It's not wrong, it makes total sense! Clips are much cheaper to produce than screws! I read it on the kitz forum. But, yes that is another reason.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 9

People can say whatever they want on any Internet forum doesn’t make it correct.
0 Ratings
Techwizz
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I know it doesn't, but common sense would tell you that it's cheaper to manufacturer using clips not screws.
0 Ratings
CJT80
Expert
Message 9 of 9

@Starwire2000wrote:

If I had a £1 for every time I heard;

‘I can’t unscrew that, I’m not an Engineer’.

I'll join you in that comment.... I worked for an ISP doing Tech Support... and the number of times I heard that! 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings