cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Need Advice.

The bassline is, We have ALWAYS had problems with our internet speed.

Around 3 months ago, we had Unlimited Faster installed (One between normal and fibre) because they can't offer fibre due to being to slow.

Screenshot_2.png

That is what we should get.

So we had a sub contractor come out under bt to do it for us. He did the worst job i could ever because he was in a rush.

We then called up to say it still wasn't up to par with what it should be. 

BT then sent out a network engineer, he was very helpful and spent time trying to fix it. He then got it up to 12/1.

This lasted around a week or 2. And now this is what our speeds are.

Screenshot_1.png

I really don't know what to do anymore considering i'm paying £21+line rental a month. 

Please help.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Need Advice.

If you have a HH5 can you post lines 1-13 from the troubleshooting/helpdesk web page 192.168.1.254

The ONLY speed test that Bt consider is the further diagnostics one from HERE.

Post the full results from that also.

0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

Screenshot_1.pngScreenshot_2.png

0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 14

It appears that dlm has acted on your line because of a fault, limiting the speed while trying to attain a stable connection. Can you carry out the "quiet line" test ? Using a corded phone plugged into the test socket on the master socket, dial 17070 and choose option 2. There should be no crackles, popping, buzzing, etc, in fact, it should be quiet........

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

It is silent.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 14

@JoeP wrote:

Around 3 months ago, we had Unlimited Faster installed (One between normal and fibre) because they can't offer fibre due to being to slow.

Just to point out that Faster Broadband is a fibre optic product. It uses exactly the same Fibre To The Cabinet (FTTC) VDSL system that Infinity uses for the vast majority of customers.

It's just that in cases where the estimated speed is below 15Mbps they don't call it Infinity. Some additional services such as dual BTTV fibre multicast HD channels require the speeds labelled as Infinity. So as a Faster Broadband fibre customer you probably can't order the full BTTV service that Infinity fibre customers can. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 14

I'm no expert so happy to be corrected on any of this, but just looking at the downstream speeds.

BT Wholesale estimate a rate somewhere between 8.8 and 21.1.

Your modem states that the max raw rate your line is capable of is 13.7.

Your modem states that the VDSL connection with the exchange is currently synchronised at 3.8.

Your IP profile is set at 3.68 which is correctly a few % below the sync rate. 

So to me the question is why the current sync rate is so much less than the raw rate? The obvious answer is due to noise or interference on your line. This is backed up by the high noise margin of 13.6. The normal target noise margin is 6.0.

As shirts suggested it looks like the dynamic line management system has upped the noise margin and set a low sync rate to try and stabilise things? Interesting that the engineer previously did manage to temporarily get it up to ~12. Did it drop after bad weather? Water can sometimes cause a problem.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 8 of 14

Personnally I'd raise a fault as the  downstream speed under 25%* of estimate.  It will be the quickest way to fix.

The DLM has capped the line speeds and unfortunately an openreach visit is required. A Boost engineer would be the best option.

Also Contacting a Mod also an idea as it often speeds things up ect. 😉

*{25% is a key figure in the fttc handbook to get openreach out}

0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 14

Can you give me an idea of what to say on the phone please?:)
0 Ratings
JoeP
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 14

I will have to see, hopefully they can fix it. It should be free right?
0 Ratings