Hey guys, I need some help before I go insane! I've really had it with BT at the minute as I'm getting nowhere fast. I had a fault of disconnecting issues and when connected I have slow to no speed. The broadband light turns steady orange for about 30 seconds and I'm unable to connect to the internet and then it turns back to blue and a few seconds I get online again with almost no speed and this happens about 30-40 times every day. I have had this from 3rd Nov and the help desk keeps telling me they cannot find a problem. They say it must be the router but I have explained that I have tried my sisters router and my girlfriends router whom are both on BT Infinity and the results are the exact same. I also have a Draytek 2750n and it gives me more info and from what I can find I am being kicked on and off the remote server as my line profile stays stable with no disconnections and the router login disconnects and then has to authenticate again.
I keep telling them what's going on but these guys still insist it could be a router problem when it is clearly not, at one time they said it was my browsers, both Firefox and IE and had me clear cookies and then when I ask for an explanation on how a browser was able to turn the light orange on the hub all was silent and they moved onto the next excuse. I have changed cables, the same fault is via wired or wireless connections on desktop, laptop and phone and the cherry on top was when I asked "What happen if I still have the fault when the new router arrives" and they said I will have to find someone local to fix the problem and when I said you mean a BT engineer they said no, that I needed someone local whatever that means...maybe they mean a Painter and Decorator...lol.
Here's the results when it does connect although that's at it worst, sometimes I can get up to about 9mb-14mb until it signs out again. I just don't see why I should pay someone on the outside to look at BT/Openreach's equipment plus pay BT a for a service which I'm clearly not getting.
Any advice before I lose the plot altogether as my patience is wearing really thin.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Good morning Joe33158 and welcome to the forum......
Can you put your telephone number into http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome and post the results (after removing your telephone number) ?
Can you log-in to your homehub and post the first 12 lines that show under the "helpdesk" tab, assuming that is, that you have a Homehub 5 ?
Can you carry out the "quiet line" test ? Using a corded phone plugged into the test socket on the master socket, dial 17070 and choose option 2. There should be no crackles, popping, buzzing, etc, in fact, it should be quiet........
Hi and thanks for the reply. I don't have a Hub 5, only the Hub 3. I also done the quiet line test and it was ok, no noise. Here is the other screen shot of the DSL Checker.
In order to rule out the Homehub as potentially being the device responsible for your speed loss, you can connect the Openreach modem directly to the PC and see if the speed improves.
To do that follow these steps:
Step 1: Remove the homehub from the modem cable
Step2: Connect your pc/laptop to the modem via the cable instead
Step3: Open network and sharing centre on windows and click set up a new connection or network
Step4: Connect to the internet then click make a new connection Broadband PPPoE
Step5: Username firstname.lastname@example.org and the password as BT
Step6: connect, If it doesn't,keep pressing try again until it does.
However, please note that this will stop any other access apart from the PC
Hi and thanks for the help, I just done this and getting the same bad results. The speed improved slighty by about 1mb but it's still jumping all over the place. If I try to download anything it just stops and starts until download is complete and this happens with any PC or Laptop that is used for the task. Might I just add that the disconnections happen very frequent between the hours 3.30pm to 7pm and again from 11pm to 1am. Other than that it disconnects on average every 20-40 mins although sometimes I get an hour but the same issues still persist and leave the PC virtually unusable at times with having to reload pages etc until the log in is autenticated again. All the while my DSL line stays connected and stable 24/7.
If it is still happening with a direct connection to the modem it would suggest the modem has developed a fault.
I had no issues with previous ISP (Sky - non fibre optic) but I did have this issue with BT before and was told that because I was on the old 8a profile that upgrading to 17a profile would solve the issue which it did but now that I'm back to the "up to 40mb" speed the problem has now started again after a few months like it did the last time but having said that my line is still connecting on the 17a profile even though my speed has changed. My maximum rate was on the upgrade was only 45mb so I didn't think the extra cost for an extra 5-6mb was worth it so went back to the lower speed.